If i were to major in between economics/econometrics which one should i major in? (1 Viewer)

hungryaussieyum

HSC
N/A
If i were to major in between economics/econometrics which one should i major in?

any suggestions?

im thinking of doing economics since econometrics skills arent in demand? well both have relatively have limited job prospects..

Affinity

HSC
I would do econometrics... that said it depends on your strengths and disposition

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
hungryaussieyum said:
what private sector jobs demand econometrics skills?
Basically anything requiring quantative analysis?

Trends in share prices?

danielvh

HSC
hungryaussieyum said:
If i were to major in between economics/econometrics which one should i major in?

any suggestions?

im thinking of doing economics since econometrics skills arent in demand? well both have relatively have limited job prospects..
Well, it really depends what sort of career you want.

I know it's a cliche but you should do what you enjoy because it'll result in better marks and thus better career prospects. But if that's equal then I'd suggest choosing econometrics as it would give you a good mathematical background useful for almost all careers, while still giving you some economic knowledge.

With both majors you can go into pretty much any career in business, public service, non-profit.... anything really except one of the professions such as med and law etc.

hungryaussieyum

HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
Basically anything requiring quantative analysis?

Trends in share prices?
i think its unlikely that you'll able to get those jobs with just only econometrics.
i thought those jobs are highly competitive and companies only hire B Sc(maths + stats)?

i've done some internet searching and it seems there are very few jobs other than government jobs that require econometrics modelling.

www.econtech.com.au/

as for the financial sector, HD for econometrics all the way is a must for employment.

http://news.finsia.efinancialcareers.com.au/ITEM_FR/newsItemId-5914
im only got a pass grade, despite the subject being so easy. im considering majoring in something else.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
hungryaussieyum said:
i think its unlikely that you'll able to get those jobs with just only econometrics.
i thought those jobs are highly competitive and companies only hire B Sc(maths + stats)?

i've done some internet searching and it seems there are very few jobs other than government jobs that require econometrics modelling.

www.econtech.com.au/

as for the financial sector, HD for econometrics all the way is a must for employment.

http://news.finsia.efinancialcareers.com.au/ITEM_FR/newsItemId-5914
I think Quant majors (Quant finance/Quant Econs) are just essentially a minor in mathematics with a synergy to commerce/economics.

If someone was interested in business finances (not accounting) i'd be suggesting acturial sciences/stats + commerce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)