If UAI is a rank, does the average person get a 50 then? (1 Viewer)

HSC
the UAI cut off for courses is determined by demand and supply for the course, which means that if people get amazingly high scores and then do arts or nothing, they wont effect your medical science cutoff.

jnr_turtle

HSC
bobby2004 said:
I got a uai of 99 and I was still not accepted for Medicine. I might sound like i am up myself but not everyone who gets a uai does medicine do they? Alot do no university course and have f***ed me and alot of other people over. Thanks guys!!!
I don't think the med people had a problem with your UAI, I think they had a problem with your attitude. Seems to me there's a little hypocrisy on your part seeing as people who get a UAI are just thinking about themselves. Which is what you're doing.

A l

HSC
N/A
bobby2004 said:
I got a uai of 99 and I was still not accepted for Medicine. I might sound like i am up myself but not everyone who gets a uai does medicine do they? Alot do no university course and have f***ed me and alot of other people over. Thanks guys!!!
Well first of all, in the case of Medicine (and Pharmacy in some universities), there are often extra criteria for entry rather than just the UAI to get into the course. These may be interviews, results in UMAT....etc. In fact a number of universities do not require a UAI for entry into the course.

eastsidehighris

HSC
so the average person should get a uai of around 60.... by what definition is an average student?

personally, im doing 10 units, 4 of which (modern history, industrial technology graphics) i could really get 90 in; well, 6 units if u count studies of religion 2U which if i try extra hard i could also land upwards of 85....

i need a uai of 76+ for construction management!

A l

HSC
N/A
eastsidehighris said:
so the average person should get a uai of around 60.... by what definition is an average student?
The mean UAI varies slightly from year to year, but it usually hovers around 66.
In this particular context, the average student is a student who is ranked within the mean UAI score of the state.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
bobby2004 said:
I am very disappointed with the UAI system for 1 good reason.

All people get UAI's, assuming that they do the 5 subjects with no more than 2 category B subjects.

That means, for all those people who get a uai, they are taking positions of people who get a uai lower than that of their's. Alot of people who get the higher uai's dont go to university and have no idea what they will do in life. T

They do not need a uai. Thus, the position (in uai terms) that this person takes off the first person (who really wanted to go to uni but can not) is unavailable until the next year.

This pisses me off! It probebly pisses other students off as well. Especially those that can not get a position at university.

I think the government needs to introduce a student legally binding contract.

At the beginning of the HSC students should decide whether or not they will go to university and if they want a uai.

If they say yes to a uai, they are under contract and must go to university if an offer arrises. If they breach this contract they will be sued under breach of contract by the board of education.

If they say no, fair enough, another student can have their uai. If they want a uai later and it is important to them they can get a uai next year. I'm NOT saying that they have to do the hsc again, but wait a whole year to get a uai.

I propose that this occurs by using their mark that they got for the previous year and recalculating their uai. That is, rescaling their HSC mark to a uai.

This will make students think about their education and future on a higher level and put some fairness into the uai distribution. They won't like it but they sure as hell wont take other people's earned and deserved spaces at uni.

This needs to change and there must be a fairer system for all.

Bobby 2004:santa:

geez someone's bitter
and your theory doesn't make much sense in your case, i doubt that anyone who got over 99 would have not gone to Uni

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
oh and to reply to the question of how many students are on each UAI rank:

approx 20 people each year get 100 (this year it was 18)
then each 0.05 increment is approx 40 people (this year it was 41)

In my case a UAI of 99.90 puts me in the top 100 students

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
if UAI is a rank:

why dont all the students band together and fail the HSC... hence everyone will get a 100 :D

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
vanush said:
if UAI is a rank:

why dont all the students band together and fail the HSC... hence everyone will get a 100 :D
Because 1 guy will kill it for the rest and jump out for their own 100 UAI glory

nahian

HSC
speaking of the uai and ranks
how important is it to get a good rank in a hsc coursein school?
how does that affect your overall mark?

SeDaTeD

HSC
"Its a bell curve, with the mean being roughly 66.00 (this isnt permanent, and can go up and down)."

No it's not, it's close to a uniform distribution, by the way the uai is defined.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Whilst the distribution of UAIs over the whole SC cohort should be uniform, the distribution of UAIs for HSC students is much more skewed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)