If/When - えば なら たら と うち etc (1 Viewer)

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
I'm still REALLY confused about when to use any of the above. My teacher is Japanese, and not that great at English... so when she tries to explain I still don't really get what she means.

Can anyone explain it in a simple way?

P

pLuvia

とis the "when" where this thing will occur then almost certain the next will occur eg. あめがふるとさむくなります when it rains it will get cold

たらis the "if" where if you do this you can do that, it's just the normal one. eg if I go to soccer, I will get tired

えば is expressing a condition, like eg. じじょをつかえばほんを*めます this basically means if I/someone does this can happen

うち is different to the "while" ながら can mean, this indicates simulataneous actions done by one person eg. 母が見ないうちにきれいにします。But うちにcan also mean before something occurs eg. 雨がふらないうちにかえりましょう。

なら means "if it is" or "if it were" eg. しゅく*いをおわりました。おわったなら見せて下さい。

Hope that helped and not confused you even more

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Hehe thanks! That really helped ^^ Now I just have to remember to use them accordingly x_x

abcd9146

HSC
i just sorta remember it like と is "if/whenever" but たら is "if/when", so there is a slight difference...

@pluvia, ながら is the one for ONE PERSON DOING ACTION SIMULTANEOUSLY (lol... sry abt the capsXD) (eg. listen to music while doing hw - 音楽を聞きながら宿題をする)
うち is for "while", but the actions don't have a set beginning and ending (eg. while the coffee is hot... コーヒーが熱いうち...)
and 間/間に is the one for when the time frame is specific, and not ambigous... (eg. while i am in japan... 日本にいる間...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)