If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

Trev

stix
HSC
Tip:
Make sure your calculator is board approved, I just had to buy a new one the other day 2 weeks before my first math exam and I don't know how to use it :p I keep turning it off because i'm used to the buttons on my old calc...

DistantCube

HSC
Trev said:
Tip:
Make sure your calculator is board approved, I just had to buy a new one the other day 2 weeks before my first math exam and I don't know how to use it :p I keep turning it off because i'm used to the buttons on my old calc...
how on earth did you sit internal assessment with a non-board approved calculator...

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
when i first saw this topic, i thaught it would simply say RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

but i am finding that im getting better marks in 4u that 3u, and 4u is easier to study for, the first 4 questions prodictable, where 3u is just all jumbled up

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
ishq said:
No.
It depends on what you're good at.
And some languages scale more. :)

David is right - EE2 takes a lot more out of you.
as if, 4unit is the most intellectually challenging course so if this is what u think is hard then 4unit takes the cake, if u think the amount of work is what determines hard then im sorry, but 4unit english's 30 page short story doesnt even come close 2 the 220 page folio and product i produced for design and technology...

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Even though I'm not that interested in Maths, nor am I a genius at it, I find that 4u provides a psychological boost to your confidence if you can partially get on top of it. I joined 4u a few weeks late, so straight from the start my rankings were at the bottom. But I was able to climb about 10 places in each subsequent assessment following the first two, and I rkn it's helped my confidence since every other subject seemed like a piece of cake for me compared to 4u.

So I rkn, if you're not that great at maths you can still do 4u if you have the right attitude. Think "If I can conquer 4u maths I can conquer every other subject" rather than "I suck at 4u it's gonna kill my UAI"

Last edited:

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
more like "if you can do 4u, you can understand forign languages and do any other subjuct, except ENGLISH"

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
hey I just started 4U
And I didnt know the whole 2 unit jig until my teacher told me a few days ago. The thing is I was really pawning the Mathematics course (got 96% in mathematics and 84% in ext1) and I was wondering if doing the 4U and getting my Maths cancelled is the best thing. We have only done complex numbers and eh thats going straightforward but conics looks like a bitch.
any comments?

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
keep going with it, theres no use looking that far ahead, yes it is a biach, but you get the ability to do it throughout the year, and make sure you keep revising complex, otherwise you will get to the hsc and realise that what was easy to learn, is a biach to relearn

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Necros87 said:
more like "if you can do 4u, you can understand forign languages and do any other subjuct, except ENGLISH"

think can safely say that english is prreeety easy compared to 4u (for all but the very best of mathematicians)

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
hell no, 4u is much easier than englihs any day, well maths more often than not has one answer, english you could write that the pope was jewish and get full marks

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Necros87 said:
hell no, 4u is much easier than englihs any day, well maths more often than not has one answer, english you could write that the pope was jewish and get full marks
yeah, its harder than advanced english, but not harder than extention 2 english, all u do here is one major work which u can read over and over again and get the teacher 2 edit it and refine it, not just 3 hours 2 tell the markers what u hav learnt in 300 working hours of 4unit

jessum

HSC
ext2 english would be much harder than ext2 maths. and it has nothing to do with workload. maths at least you get taught how to do it, but in english arent u just thrown into the deep end and told to produce something which will impress the markers? you have to be creative, and make this thing perfect.. i did society and culture, so i did a pip, and that pip was the bane of my existence in year 12. it was much more stressful than 4u maths, so i can imagine that having to do an english major work would be even worse
thats just my opinion

jpcg

HSC
is 4 unit worth the workload though? why cant we just do really really well in 2 unit rather than not as well in 4 unit?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
jpcg said:
is 4 unit worth the workload though? why cant we just do really really well in 2 unit rather than not as well in 4 unit?
Because you have to do really, really, really, REALLY well in 2-unit to match a decent 4-unit mark.

Besides, if you love maths, who cares about the workload? That's half of what 4-unit's about... :p

I_F

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
you have to do really, really, really, REALLY well in 2-unit to match a decent 4-unit mark.
I'd say you have to do really, really, really, REALLY well in 4-unit to match a decent 4-unit mark.

lol

Maiya

HSC
Re: If you are in year 11, read this first:

1) do the hw no matta how well u are doing
2) dont think for once since ur good, u will breeze thru it
3) persistence counts alot esp in maths!

its not a humanitarian course lol :)

milton

HSC
KFunk said:
Integration ---> Harder integration. Once you've done this you kill 3-unit integration.
yes, too true, 4U integration basially requires you to do 3U integration in your head. this reduction formula is really pissing me off- i have 30 qs whcich take like 1/2 pg like integrating (sinx)^10

at ruse, only 1/2 the grade i.e. 80 ppl are allowed to do 4U and a lot of ppl are pissed so they find an outside tutor instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)