If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
the tutoring thing is such BS. My sister did 4 unit with no tutoring and got a band 6

Hi there444

HSC
anyone who starts the course that far back is honestly retarded[emoji29] . you gain absolutely nothing. i'm doing the course currently, and there are a few kids who started it at tutoring at the start of year 11. Needless to say, none of them have even broken the top 15. The majority of the top of our course isn't tutored at all. definitely not something to worry about. if you're averaging over 95, you'll cope no problem, it's just about consistent and constant application. I try to do a few questions in each of my free periods at school, and i'm easily managing the course like that. the most important thing is that you love the maths. if you don't, you won't enjoy putting in the work.
It doesn't matter when they start and if the person above is complaining, then honestly he is comparative on his disadvantage wherein knowledge should be sought after not competition. Competition only bears more competition but knowledge bears greater good. I don't love math, I live math and for that reason, I do math. Remember 'the kid who Dimitri answered', if you are doing math to show of your talents, the joy in math is temporary but the will to learn as much will give you the permanent enjoyment. I Learnt this aspect in yr 11 and I didn't need to ask yr 12 kids to tell me that. Do what you think is right for you. For the love of math, make your own decision, ur like 17.
Almost a philosophical lesson but, the sooner you understand the better for you.

zozoraneem

HSC
how does the 3 U and 4 U marking go
like is it ot of 50 or 100 if you pick 4 U maths

and what happens to 2 unit maths?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
how does the 3 U and 4 U marking go
like is it ot of 50 or 100 if you pick 4 U maths

and what happens to 2 unit maths?
2 unit is not counted on your atar because it is assumed you will get a band 6 in it by doing 4 unit.

chboblie

HSC
Hey I got 50% in my first exam for complex numbers (last out of a group of four, with the second lowest at 91%) and I got far below the class average, but my 3-unit mark was the highest by far with a lead of 15%, and I already completed 2-u through the accelerated course and got 94%, so should I drop 4-u or does it sound like it was just a very very bad test.

asekhar17

HSC
Uni Grad
Well for me, what I get in 2u is surprisingly similar to what I get in 3u and 4u. In fact, for the first set of assessments tasks in Maths last year in HSC mode, I got a 60% for 2, 3 and 4u. However my ranks had variances. While 2u was not ranked for 4u students, in 3u I was 8/19 and 4u was 3/6 (I am the only bloke in my school doing 4u). Also, yes I go for tutoring (but only 3 and 4u...). What are your thoughts?

AusHam

HSC
As a qualified mathematics teacher and someone who went through the after school tutoring program during High School, I would suggest that you do
Mathematics Extension 2 (formerly 4 Unit) if you have a passion for the subject and can show a strong degree of creative thinking. The mechanics and
conics sections in my opinion require a lot of unconventional methods to solve the questions, as its really more algebra rather than a direct application
of physics and conical equations. You must also be highly committed, willing to spend a lot of time studying mathematics and doing after hours
tutoring.

I did Mathematics Extension 1 at school and found it was reasonably challenging, but more straightforward in the problem solving approach compared to Mathematics Extension 2. If I had to do school again, I would have picked Mathematics Extension 2, despite my reservations about the conics and mechanics sections. So far I have found most of the topics like complex numbers, graphs, polynomials to be more methodical in the problem solving

darkk_blu

HSC
Some school will make you do the 2U test just in case you decide to drop, you should be getting 100% or at least 90% on a really bad day. As for 3U, you should be getting minimum 70%, it counts as 2 units if you end up with 4U at the very end. And you need at least 60% for 4U tests.

There was this one guy at my school, he scored next to 0 in a 2U test in a 4U class, I'm pretty sure he belonged in general but for some reason he was able to get through our deputy and got a chance at doing 4U. He dropped out in the end, this goes to show although you have opportunities to get into 4U by "force" it probably wasn't right for you if you had to go through such struggles. Then again there are people who should be doing 4U but decide to do 3U and focus on other subjects like English which is compulsory. Either way, I would encourage people who easily get accepted into 4U try it out and drop whenever you feel like it gets too hard, its good scaling and maybe even fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)