• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If you DIDN'T get the UAI you needed but still wanna go uni.... (1 Viewer)

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
..........then what other options are you guys considering ?

Tafe course then transferring to uni ?
College course then trasferring to uni ?
Or low-uai uni course then transferring to desired course ?

I'm just wondering cos i'm having the same problem. Might actually end up doing distance education through SCU or UNE since the uai's are much lower there then transferring to a nearby uni.. anyone know if distance education for a yr is good/bad ?

QuaCk

low-uai uni course then transferring to desired course

B Eco -> B Comm

Ellie-Bee

HSC
i am considering : tafe then transferring to uni OR uni course at same uni then transferring to the course i want.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Some uni's such as Macquarie have "non award" courses which you can do in 1st year and try to transfer into a proper degree the year after

Rory

HSC
I just did distance ed for the past two years which put me in this predicament of a low uai lmao so I wouldn't really suggest it for uni unless you're dead serious and it's your final option. I'm going to do a half-yearly college course at Canberra and then transfer into the Uni.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
In couses like Business and law (pricewise). The cheapest option would be a diploma of advanced diploma at TAFE then transfer to Uni and get accreditation pts. It might take longer than private college but if you have to pay $16K at Macleay or about $2k p.a. for 2 years its up to you

rebeccavoy

another option

hi, i'm in the same situation. I needed at least a 65 (with my ret test) to do the degree I wanted but unfortunately missed out by quite a bit (only getting 46.8). I can understand if you're disheartened by missing out, I know I certainly was, but after I while I started to look into my options. Here's what I've decided to do.

I'm going to attend UWS and go through a program called Unitrack. In this you pay upfront to do 2 subjects per semester (ie. 4 over the course of the year), of course you have to do well in these subjects. Then, at the appropriate time you reapply through UAC and they take this your new marks into consideration. If you then get into the course you want and the subject you completed are part of that degree you are credited those and don't have to redo them.

I have talked to people who have done this, one who is now going extremely well in her degree. However I would only recommend this if you intend to work your butt off as you only get one chance. I had a bummer of a year and honestly believe that given the chance, I will go well in UNI, hence the reason I chose this option. If however, you are not a person who works hard and is motivated, tafe may be a better way to go.

I have only looked into this at UWS (go to their website for more info) but other Uni's may over similiar pathways.

Good Luck!

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Rory said:
I just did distance ed for the past two years which put me in this predicament of a low uai lmao so I wouldn't really suggest it for uni unless you're dead serious and it's your final option. I'm going to do a half-yearly college course at Canberra and then transfer into the Uni.
yeh i don't really like the idea of distance ed myself, i reckon i'll probably be more lazy than ever.. but my mum suggested it cos it's another way of getting into uni =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)