If you don't make the ATAR cut off, can you still do the course? (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Hey I was just wondering if you don't make the ATAR cut off for a course, say the cut off is 95.15 but you get 94.25 or something, can you still get accepted into the course? Sorry if this is dumb, I'm in year 11/starting in year 12 and I know nothing of the whole ATAR and university admissions system..

dolbinau

HSC
Hey I was just wondering if you don't make the ATAR cut off for a course, say the cut off is 95.15 but you get 94.25 or something, can you still get accepted into the course? Sorry if this is dumb, I'm in year 11/starting in year 12 and I know nothing of the whole ATAR and university admissions system..
In theory you're not meant to. The cut-offs are meant to describe the highest UAI of the person who got the last spot. So there should be no room for you to get an offer in the main round.

But apparently sometimes Unis publish the cut-offs higher than they actually are to increase the apparent 'prestige' of the university..so you may get in.

LordPc

HSC
yes you can still make the cut off.

a great deal of people get in despite being below the cut off for various reasons.

so if you get above the cut-off, you are guaranteed a place
if you are below the cut-off, you can still get a place, but your chances are no longer 100%

and the higher up you go, the fewer people they let slip through with insufficient ATAR's. so if you wanted to do law/comm or something (which generally has a high ATAR), i would imagine that if you didnt make the ATAR, your chance of getting in would be very slim.

on the other hand, if you wanted to get into B Science, which has a lower ATAR, you could probably still get in even if you were 1 or 2 marks below the required cut off.

if that doesn't make sense, then just ignore what i said and get above the ATAR of the course you want to get into

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, it happens more often than you think. However don't get your hopes up/rely on it happening.

Put your preferences in order of your preference, esp if you just miss the ATAR you might get in. That said there is also transfers and mature aged entry, all is not lost!

Andi0390

HSC
Generally the ATAR cutoff represents the lowest score to gain admission into the course in the main round. Often some offers are made below that cutoff in the late round if there are spaces available, or the university published a higher cutoff.

Although many universities offer alternative entrance schemes. I know NSW HSC students can get points for relevant courses at some universities (I'm not sure how that works - I was an ACT student) and a few universities (ANU, MAC) offer UniTest, or something like that, which can help raise your UAI a few points to gain entry into a course.

If you get below the cutoff there is absolutely no guarantee that you will get in the course. Be prepared for that but also be aware of alternative entrances. Its not worth stressing about it now, just do your best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)