If you get a UAI of 30. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Would you still try to get into university, or would you come to the conclusion that you're not suited for uni?

savio23q

Band
HSC
Im sure that anyone with a UAI of 30 wouldn't have been aiming for uni anyways.

If they did...lol. There's many ways of getting into whatever it is they wanna do though. They can do it through other means..it'll just take longer.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
savio23q said:
Im sure that anyone with a UAI of 30 wouldn't have been aiming for uni anyways.

If they did...lol. There's many ways of getting into whatever it is they wanna do though. They can do it through other means..it'll just take longer.
would you still aim to get into uni?
would it influence how you felt about your ability that much?

nataliaa.cc

HSC
Kick myself and cry for hours and hours.
Withdraw my application to UAC.
Go to TAFE.
Try in 2 years.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
nataliaa.cc said:
Kick myself and cry for hours and hours.
Withdraw my application to UAC.
Go to TAFE.
Try in 2 years.
so you wouldn't let the poor result affect how you feel about your academic aptitude and continue to pursue a tertiary education?

my1stpost

HSC
I'm going for a uai and if i got 30.00 i'd just go to college that im already accepted in, then go to uni when i got my diploma after 2 yrs at the college...

HSC
Well if i knew why i got 30 (missed all my HSC exams etc) then i would definitely try uni - but right now, if i got a 30....

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
so if you got <80 you wouldn't bother with uni?
It just depends on the person I guess- I was being general. A 95+ candidate who misinterpreted their essay questions or was ill during the HSC may end up with <80, but are still capable of studying at university, in which case they should try get in.

If I got <80 due to not understanding my subjects then I probably wouldn't go to university, though that's not going to happen -_-

I dunno, it depends on the individual in the end.

savio23q

Band
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I'm not expecting a UAI of 30 LOL

However, people that DO get 30, usually deserve it. They're not really "dumb" they just either dont care for school or they havent tried. It just reflects the effort they put in, GENERALLY.

Getting 30 in your UAI and wanting to do engineering would have a significant affect on your confidence and may spark doubts as to whether you can handle such a subject. So IFFFFFFF I got 30, yes, I would be questioning my ability (unless i knew i definitely didn't try).

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Rhanoct said:
If I got <80 due to not understanding my subjects then I probably wouldn't go
Is that because you think that with a UAI lower than 80 (not due to misunderstandings) you would not have the aptitude necessary to succeed at uni?

knots&crosses

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
It would for most people. I'm guessing if someone was aiming higher and put in some effore it would real confidence shaker. If for some reason i do end up with that UAI, i would go to TAFE, excel, gain the credentials for one year and enter secon time round...

edit: but i get what you mean about it making you question your abilities...

Last edited:

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
whoa, interesting thread/thought.

I doubt that anyone can try and not get a UAI over 50, but if I did get a UAI of around 50 I would have to give a good deal of thought to whether or not uni was for me.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Is that because you think that with a UAI lower than 80 (not due to misunderstandings) you would not have the aptitude necessary to succeed at uni?
Mmhm, and that you would be much better off going to tafe. However, I'm just a naive highschool student so what do I know ;D

edit: Best sig ^

BackCountrySnow

HSC
savio23q said:
I'm not expecting a UAI of 30 LOL
sorry, i wasn't implying that you were. =]

savio23q said:
Getting 30 in your UAI and wanting to do engineering would have a significant affect on your confidence and may spark doubts as to whether you can handle such a subject. So IFFFFFFF I got 30, yes, I would be questioning my ability (unless i knew i definitely didn't try).
That's what I am interested to know. I have a friend and he has an absolutely brilliant mind. Absolutely brilliant. And in the junior years he would kill tests and absolutely destroy everyone. But the prelims came and the hard workers took over from the naturally gifted. So his marks fell. And as they fell he lost confidence in his own ability and now, due to his severe lack of confidence, he is unable to get the marks he used to even when he studies..

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
always.dreaming said:
I doubt that anyone can try and not get a UAI over 50, but if I did get a UAI of around 50 I would have to give a good deal of thought to whether or not uni was for me.
ditto...

also, wouldnt your trial results be a good indicator of where you're at?

for example... i know that if i wanted to go to uni and i got say 40s in my trials...id still study hard for the hsc and pursue uni, but realistically, id also consider tafe or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)