• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If you miss your HSC exam do they take your Trial mark or your Internal mark ? (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
After secretly looking at my internal mark on the teacher's computer when he left the room. I'm very happy with my results.

My internal marks are:
English STD 82/100 (Band 5)
Business Studies 84/100 (Band 5)
IPT 94/100 (Band 6)
Maths GEN 78/100 (Band 4)

However my trial marks were pretty average (mostly band 4s).

So I was wondering, if i'm away for the exam, what mark would they take ? Internal or Trial ?

D94

HSC
N/A
Neither.

If you are successful in your appeal, you will be awarded the higher of your HSC exam mark or your moderated assessment mark.

But in your case, if you don't sit the HSC exam (and you are successful in your appeal), your final mark will be the moderated assessment mark. This will ultimately be dependent on how your cohort performs.

Those marks you listed are your raw internal marks. They will be moderated based on your cohort's performance.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

kietkiet

HSC

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A successful appeal would be some serious illness etc - and even then you are advised, wherever possible, to still sit the exam.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
One of my brothers mates ended up in hospital with glandular fever so he missed the HSC exams.

He appealed successfully, and his marks were very similar to that of his trail marks.

In my year a girl ended up with a stomach virus and left half way through modern (didn't finish the exam) and missed ext history, and her marks were higher than her trails, but reflected her position in our class and how we performed.

I believe it they consider your cohorts performance (ie. if it was a hard exam and everyone had trouble then your mark won't be higher), your internal rank (so if your 5th your mark would be about the 5th highest) and your trail marks, just to be sure they aren't over estimating or underestimating what you are capable of.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The only mark the BOS is given is the final assessment mark and that is the mark they use. If a student misses and exam they take that student out of the moderation process and deal with all other students the way they would normally and then slot the missing student back in - according to their rank and the relative differences between the marks. It is exactly the same process as for a student who has sat the exam and had an issue that results in a accident/illness misadventure as this is what it is - too ill to do the exam or some other misadventure resulting in non-completion of the exam.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
How does it work if you miss the exam and you're ranked first internally? Do they take the percentage that you are above the cohort internally and make you that percentage above the cohort in the HSC?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I believe that they do exactly that - work out the relative gap between the top rank and second rank and apply the mark accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)