Ignored by the science faculty? (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
I'm enrolled in a com/sci degree atm and is it just me or does the sci faculty just ignore us? I ask this because despite recieving numerous letters from FCE, I've recieved nothing to acknowlegde my existance as a science student.....Is it because the FCE is the overriding authority for my degree?

Also, my ID card says I'm a Comm student only. Is this going to have any affect at all in the future?

renya

HSC
yeh, the science faculty ignore us, but i might drop by tomorow anyway and learn science/grab freebies.

Raginsheep

HSC
I was disappointed especially when the science dept was giving out free lunches one advisory day but you needed a coupon which they sent out in the mail.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Yes, the science faculty will ignore you. Not because they want to, but because that is the rule.. Commerce/Science is administered by FCE. Interestingly enough, I'm doing Comm/Sci and my student card says BSc.

Yes, you can turn up to the science welcome. And yes, they will help with science-related enquiries eg. which subjects do I pick for my major? How do I enrol into labs etc.., but anything else such as graduation and overloading is done through the Commerce faculty

Raginsheep

HSC
If I was doing another combined degree (e.g. com/law) would there be a similar situation?

All I really want are the science freebies :p

Affinity

HSC
The pecking order is:

Law > Engineering > Commerce > Science and Arts

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Is it because the FCE is the overriding authority for my degree?
If you had went to the info day today for commerce, they would have told you that if you have any queries go directly to FCE because your double degree has nothing to do with the science faculty.

Affinity said:
The pecking order is:

Law > Engineering > Commerce > Science and Arts
I would swap commerce and Engineering.
Engineering is heaps poor and have all the old, crappy, brokendown buildings with dangerous elevators.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Vylen said:
errr... funding is relational to authority?
What world do you live in? Money is power!
Why else would the new law building be on the prime real estate, next to the round house.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
Im not asking who to direct my questions to about my degree. All I want is that I get any free food/freebies vouchers the science department mails out in the future.....:p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
babydoll_ said:
yep, science faculty are jerks
Oi - thanks.:burn:

As for free food, the science faculty had the welcome today, and free lunch was provided. I got to skip the line:)

renya

HSC
I got my ID card today, and it has both com/sci on it. dont think it means anything though.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol, commerce is like closest to the richest faculty on unsw though, so it's not surprising how they'd have new buildings + so many buildings existing already for commerce.

Anyways yeah, haha science faculty is probably abit of a contained faculty. Hey did anyone go on the 2-4pm orientation today? I like already knew most of my classes, just might check again tomorrow if i buy textbooks.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Did they invite any present students to give a welcome speech?

Raginsheep

HSC
I'm surprised at the lack of clout held by the science faculty considering the amount of revenue it provides the uni through patents, partnerships, grants etc dervied from its research or at least that was the impression I got from the associate dean at today's science talk.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
redslert said:
I would swap commerce and Engineering.
Engineering is heaps poor and have all the old, crappy, brokendown buildings with dangerous elevators.
I wouldn't generalise mate, you would be surprised how much funding some of the smaller engineering faculties have.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Curry said:
I wouldn't generalise mate, you would be surprised how much funding some of the smaller engineering faculties have.
Only the ones with advertising/promotion worthiness such as sunswift, others gets jack crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)