Illness/Misadventure launch advice (1 Viewer)

Strikes

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone,
So this morning upon waking up i was very sick, throwing up the works, went to school informed the supervisors and deputy before doing the exam. Now in the exam itself despite seeing the questions which i interpreted as quite easy, I did shockingly compared to how i should have gone due to exhaustion, headaches, stomach continuing to cramp and the occasional feeling that I might throw up. Wrote a little more then half to what i normally would as a result, and it was a lot worst in quality. The deputy and my English teacher strongly recommended for me to launch an illness appeal and the exam supervisor said i could if i felt it necessary. I'm ranked 2nd in English with an internal mark of 87% and in my trial for paper 2 i got 19, 17, 18 for each module. I can't help but feel that i have ruined everyone's assessment mark if this appeal doesn't go through successfully. I will be going to the doctors to get everything sorted (including the illness form), and luckily i don't have an exam until next week. what is the likelihood that this claim will be accepted? any words of advice/comfort from anyone who has been in a similar situation. And if successful am i right to assume that they will just estimate my mark if its lower then what's expected based on how the cohort performed?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If the doctor writes a decent description, then I think it is likely to be upheld.

HSC
N/A
what illness is that?
you said exhaustion vomitting cramps etc
just asking haha

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
And if successful am i right to assume that they will just estimate my mark if its lower then what's expected based on how the cohort performed?
A mark for paper 2 will be estimated from your performance on paper 1. You will get the higher of that estimate and your actual mark on paper 2.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
A mark for paper 2 will be estimated from your performance on paper 1. You will get the higher of that estimate and your actual mark on paper 2.
Wrroooooong.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
How is it calculated?
You mark for paper 1 is out of 45, it's converted to 40 and then is added with your mark out of 60 for paper 2, resulting in a mark out of 100.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Woops, misinterpreted what the bloke was saying, haha.

Strikes

HSC
N/A
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/illness-misadventure.html

if your application is upheld, you will be awarded the higher of your examination mark and a mark derived from your assessment mark or unaffected components of your examination
Wouldn't that indicate that you get whatever is highest out of either:
A) an examination mark
B) a mark derived from your assessment mark
C) unaffected component of your exam?

Or is it stating that option C somehow overrules B?

Last edited:

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Option c is used where there is an unaffected component of the exam. Only occurs where there are projects or practicals, or 2 papers like english. Option b is used otherwise, in exams like legal studies, sor etc where there is only one exam. Both these methods are compared to the actual mark option a and the higher mark is given.

Last edited:

Strikes

HSC
N/A
Option b is used where there is an unaffected component of the exam. Only occurs where there are projects or practicals, or 2 papers like english. Option a is used otherwise, in exams like legal studies, sor etc where there is only one exam.
Sorry i edited my post to make it seem a little more legible and its put the 'options' you've described out of line. Just the wording of it seems like its either the highest of a, b or c; or stating that option C is used over higher options A and B. Where A is your actual mark so that seems a little counter productive haha (if this makes sense)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)