Im about to cry..... (1 Viewer)

pet0503

HSC
I will do my HSC in 2008 and I really really want to get into VETERINARY SCIENCE at USYD..
The UAI mark is 98.45 and so far i did really really bad in year 11...
Would year 11 count towards HSC?

I didnt pass my HSC assessment tasks (Biology and Math)..

ESL was 9.5/10 (weigh 10%)
Biology was 12.2/28 (weigh 20%) :mad:
Math was 19.5/51 (weigh 10%) :mad:
Chemistry was 78.5/90 (weigh 10%) :mad:
Japanese Continuers was 5.5/10 (weigh 10%).....

Also I've got half yearly exam, do I have to do really well in these exams to get UAI over 90?
I'm sorry if i sound stupid but im really getting stressed so much...

Im really panicking about my marks so far:(
How can I improve my mark....?!
Can you please help me:(:(:(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
More importantly, what were your ranks?

pet0503

HSC
  • last in biology with 2 other girls
  • last in maths and japanese continuers
  • first in ESL
  • high-middle in chemistry
Also i was just wondering, even you did bad in assessment task, is that true that if your class does well, your mark scales up?!

I gotta study:(:(

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Just don't detest me if I say 'LOLZ'.

Well basically, you are falling into the same situation as me, a pathetic and seemingly irreversible crisis, let's say. I was panicking like hell when I was just at the beginning of year 11 and actually I tried every fibre of my being, to be honest, just to reject any 'advice' such as 'year 11 is not counted into your HSC' and 'don't shiver like that, this mark won't affect your HSC'. Now, I'm getting worse, as a matter of fact, since I did believe even my assessment task marks would not affect my HSC but the rankings would, I have become more than relaxed. Thus, I think: just believe in the truth the last tests will truly determine your destiny but still keep in ming you must always achieve BANG BANG 100% in everything and by the end of the day, you'll be able to do whatever you want. Don't relax too much like me 'cuz now I'm shaking again, and screaming 'OMG, can I survive until tomorrow???'. Good luck.

And remember that your assessment task marks in your HSC course only play the role in regulating your rankings within your school cohort and in showing you how well you've been studying. That's about it.

Finally, the rumour about 'if your schoolmates do well, your marks ought to be scaled up...a bit' is based on logical facts. We are told a few things about how our final HSC marks are calculated and it's like this: (Your school assessment marks don't influence!)

Let's say you are ranked 1st in ESL and another student C is ranked 2nd. However, in the real HSC tests, you score 98 (hix), ranked 2nd and he scores 99 (what the???), ranked 1sr. Your final marks are: 99_98_98.5 and his are 98_99_98.5. The key is: because you come first in your school, you deserve the top mark your school cohorts score in the HSC and this is regarded you 'school assessment mark'; on the other hand, your real HSC mark is 98, you cannot change this 98. The similar situation happens to your friend but slightly different, in the reverse. So, that's why we say your ranking in your school is important because you can 'steal' the top marks of your school in the HSC easily.

HAVE FUN!

ccc123

HSC
Exphate said:
Yeah you fail at the HSC and you will get the <30 box ticked.

But seriously, quit stressing. You have 80%-90% of your in schoo marks left to get. And then they are halved. Just chillax.
Ohh. That's mean.

But basically yes, you have lots of work to do.

What can I say, there's no secret to boosting your marks suddenly and it will only be achieved through hard work and commitment. Furthermore, sadly, not everyone has the academic aptitude to achieve a UAI of 98+, so all I can suggest is you try your best and have a back up. Vetinery Science is offered at various other universities, so why, considering current circumstances, wouldn't you cinsider those? Their UAI cut-offs are likely far lower than USyd.

az8

HSC
hey guys....
im doing quite hsit in preli courses.......
i need help and im wondering if i want a UAI of 90.. wat marks do i need??
i do:
std eng 47/100 ranked 29 out of 49
maths2u 54/100 ranked 61 out of 100
dropped ext1 maths and came last....><"
chemistry 49/100 ranked 56 out of 77
biology 68/100 ranked 35 out of 86
business studies 80/100 ranked 16/ 53.....
what UAI will i be grtting at this rate??

ccc123

HSC
az8 said:
hey guys....
im doing quite hsit in preli courses.......
i need help and im wondering if i want a UAI of 90.. wat marks do i need??
i do:
std eng 47/100 ranked 29 out of 49
maths2u 54/100 ranked 61 out of 100
dropped ext1 maths and came last....><"
chemistry 49/100 ranked 56 out of 77
biology 68/100 ranked 35 out of 86
business studies 80/100 ranked 16/ 53.....
what UAI will i be grtting at this rate??
When will you people get it into your heads thats there is no way a UAI can be predicted so early on and with so limited information?

I think you really need to concentrate on improving English exponentially if you want over 90 though.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
It's hardly believable that any 'native' students studying Eng standard have to deal with any trouble as such! One guy in my school's lived here for 4 years but he is thriving in the Advanced already.

It's true that nothing can be predicted. Why don't you people just focus on your marks and rankings and your knowledge? Then everything will be fine, of course.

Otherwise,if anyone is still annoyed by 'what will I get', just type some random marks into SAM and you'll get too obvious a scenario! E.g. to get 98+, try to get all band 6s.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
pet0503 said:
I will do my HSC in 2008 and I really really want to get into VETERINARY SCIENCE at USYD..
The UAI mark is 98.45 and so far i did really really bad in year 11...
Would year 11 count towards HSC?

I didnt pass my HSC assessment tasks (Biology and Math)..

ESL was 9.5/10 (weigh 10%)
Biology was 12.2/28 (weigh 20%) :mad:
Math was 19.5/51 (weigh 10%) :mad:
Chemistry was 78.5/90 (weigh 10%) :mad:
Japanese Continuers was 5.5/10 (weigh 10%).....

Also I've got half yearly exam, do I have to do really well in these exams to get UAI over 90?
I'm sorry if i sound stupid but im really getting stressed so much...

Im really panicking about my marks so far:(
How can I improve my mark....?!
Can you please help me:(:(:(
You're probably a VERY capable student, but if you keep stressing the way you are...you'll recieve a mark in the shits.

Your internal mark will be halved and added to the other half, which is your external mark (HSC exams). So, even if you dont ace the internals - you can make up for it in your externals.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Undermyskin said:
It's hardly believable that any 'native' students studying Eng standard have to deal with any trouble as such! One guy in my school's lived here for 4 years but he is thriving in the Advanced already.
Er, what the fuck? Relevance?

EDIT: ???????

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Undermyskin said:
To make that one try harder! :argue:
yeah, except I don't imagine that having some internet fob tell them they have no reason to be struggling simply because english is their native tongue could be considered encouraging.

Machie Man

in yr erotic fantasies, y hello thur big boii
HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:
Should I tell lies then?
Er, pardon?

You made a sweeping assumption (that everyone who speaks English can't struggle with the subject) and I am pointing out to you how ridiculous and inaccurate and baseless such an assumption is. It's not a matter of you telling or not telling lies, it's a matter of you being wrong and nonsensical.

-Jachie

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Just say I'm wrong. OK.

Take it this way: do you prefer to hit someone right in the face to help them straighten themselves up again? I do. You don't 'cuz you use a different way to approach a person. That's fair enough. Form your viewpoint, let's say st generally: 'try to improve your E'. Yeah, she has 4 weeks until her 1st term! It's cruel but make her cry in 3 days then she'll know what's wrong has been happening to her. I'm not embarrassed to say I've cried several times when I cannot get the marks I want or even when I make a wrong answer in my class. I do it all on my own. Maybe when she's alone, she can do much better.

I'm sorry to say that I'm sick of the way teachers at high school are using words such as fantastic, fabulous, excellent. That probably has some drawbacks such as making those students assuming they are 'great' and then making them totally freaked out when receiving crap marks rather than encouraging them to continue their pace of ingesting knowledge. Well, things have two sides. I have no right to require people to be 100% sensible at any situation and to give relevant words in certain circumstances. We all make mistakes! Many just don't want to admit their faults. (I'm that sort of people and you can think that's why I'm writing crap to defend myself. I'm sorry, I'm an Emoth! I hate myself first!)

I don't mean that anyone has to achieve 100% in a test on their language! At least they should pass, shouldn't they?

There's one different from what I've experienced in all the classes I've joined in my country and those in Aus: teachers use different way to encourage students. I just think pampering students all the time just helps them to nowhere! And yeah, lots of people assume they are 'great'.

Yeah, two tips:
When you are stressed, cry as much as possible. Have a sleep and when you wake up, you are more determined!
When you think what you're doing will lead you to nowhere, talk to someone, even if they are not your closest friends but don't ask them to answer, it's a way you work out the knot.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Undermyskin said:
There's one different from what I've experienced in all the classes I've joined in my country and those in Aus: teachers use different way to encourage students. I just think pampering students all the time just helps them to nowhere! And yeah, lots of people assume they are 'great'.
This is false.

In year 7, I had Mr. X as my maths teacher - I was ranked 3/150 that year.
Year8 , some random teacher I didnt like/was boring/nazi - 50/150
year9 , same random teacher - 70/150
year 10, good teacher but nazi - 110/150.
yr 11, I had Mr. X again, rank? 2unit - 26/156, 3unit 30/110.

The reason (I believe so), is because Mr. X basically spoon fed us the content. He was laid back and basically pampered us for any achievement we receive. Not only so, he also made Maths fun (i'ev always liked maths, but pre prelim it was boring) and which in turn made me love the subject more. Anyone thats been in his class has shown a great improvement. NOTE : He's never shouted at us, ever.

I don't like the idea of you need to be harsh to help a child "study". Because, in reality, they won't be using half the education they received in school for their career path. And I don't believe anyone here likes a Nazi teacher?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
You're messing 'appealing' with 'pampering'. My physics teacher was awesome: he's smart, humorous, exellent at explaining any questions but guess what, he never...as far as I can remember...never said any word better than 'good, correct, right' and of course in other times, he said 'wrong, incorrect'. He didn't pamper us, obviously. He tended to let us face the truth of our ability. Once we got very crap marks in our tests which are far worse than what he expected, well, we didn't dare looking at him when he gave us a 15' 'lecture' on 'what the hell are you studying'. I think that's fair enough for a motivating teacher 'cuz it was the only year that I truly turned mad at Physics and once in my life really wanted to become a physicist. Not now.

Maybe I'm too harsh. I'm sorry if it disturbs you then. Just how I treat myself.

Another tip: Don't waste time commiting an endless strife as it can kill an incredibly big amount of time. Spend time thinking about how to answer this question instead: An acid with concentration of 10^-2 M has pH of 2. When it is diluted to 10^-8, does it become a base?

Have fun!

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
No. It becomes (basically...lol pun) neutral. -log[10^-8] = 7ish. Please tell me I'm correct, I don't want to have to go to the books because I'm forgettnig things :<

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Yeah! You're halfly correct. It becomes 6.9ish, not 7ish 'cuz if it larger than 7, it's slightly alkaline.

That's fun 'cuz to find its pH, you need to add 10^-7 and 10^-8, then get -log of that sum. The result is 6.98! Acid can never become basic. I was told this a few days ago but still don't know how that achieve this result. Just know how to explain why it's not a basic. (stick to the ionisation and equilibrium of water).

We should cry if this question is in the test!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)