I'm Confused (1 Viewer)

markness

HSC
Say there are 90 people in each of this guys subjects.

He starts the year really poorly, doing no work etc. Gets ranked 88/90 for example in his first assessment. Then improves a bit for his half-yearly, ranked 80/90 for example.

He's still improving and ranks 60/90 for his 3rd assessment, then ranks 30/90 for his trial. Briefly looking at these ranks I would estimate he would probably he ranked 70/90 overal.

At this point he thinks, hmm, I might not get the uai I want if I don't pick up the slack so he studies incredibly hard between the trial and the HSC exam.

He then aces the HSC exam getting close to the highest mark in the school.

Now, here is the part I don't get and despite being told by numorous people and a few teachers that what they are telling me is true, I still can't believe it.

I have been told that he would not recieve his really got mark in the HSC but would instead recieve the 60th ranked mark (remember at this point I estimated him at 60/90 overal). This can't be true can it? I must have been told by 3 teachers, a few friends and my parents. But this is too stupid to comprehend. Someone please tell me they are all wrong.

helper

HSC
N/A
Your mark is made up of two marks
1. Your moderated assessment mark, which will be around the 60/90 mark but not exactly that mark (see moderation)
2. The HSC Exam Mark (really good one, that he did in the HSC)

These are averaged to obtain the overall mark and calculate the ACAT or whatever they now call it.

markness

HSC
Your mark is made up of two marks
1. Your moderated assessment mark, which will be around the 60/90 mark but not exactly that mark (see moderation)
2. The HSC Exam Mark (really good one, that he did in the HSC)

These are averaged to obtain the overall mark and calculate the ACAT or whatever they now call it.
Now thats what I assumed but I have been repeatably told that It was how I described in my last paragraph. I wonder if everyone here will agree with you.

markness

HSC
So there is no way you can receive someone else's mark for the hsc external? Can I get some 3rd/4th opinions please (I'm using this as evidence against my parents).

oly1991

HSC
say if you are ranked 70th then you will recieve roughly the 70th best external mark as your assessment mark

you will keep your exam mark...no one can take that away from you

these scores are then averaged to attain your HSC mark

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So there is no way you can receive someone else's mark for the hsc external? Can I get some 3rd/4th opinions please (I'm using this as evidence against my parents).

what helper said is exactly correct.

you are responsible for your ranks at school, hence you are responsible for your internal marks.

so if i was placed 10th in the year, for my hsc internal mark, i would get about what 10th person gets as his/her hsc mark at our school. BUT there is one thing you need to realise...

ranks are not the most important thing...marks between each person is just as important.

For example...I will give you a real example

We have people A, B, C. They do their school assessments and they got marks like these:

A - 97
B - 96
C - 92

They then do their HSC and get

A - 100
B - 96
C - 96

Their internal marks are now adjusted to HSC marks of
A - 100
B - 99
C - 96

So A - 100 &100 = 100
B - 99 & 96 = 98
C - 96 & 96 = 96

The reason why B got 99 for his internal mark instead of 96 (which is the 2nd top mark) is because B's internal mark was very close to A's internal mark. If we treat A's internal mark as 100, B should get 99, not 96 for his internal mark.

shuning

HSC
回复: I'm Confused

but last yr in my school...

1 guy tried so hard. Ranked no1 in like all his subjects ( we all thought his gona dux with 97+ ) ... got 93 UAI.

another guy slacked off... ranked lower mid ish 4 in all his subjects untill the the half yrly ends

did alright'ish after that and got 94 UAI.

in terms of externals. the 1st guy beat the 2nd in 4u math ( 96 and 91 something like that ), and also the1 st guy's chem is better than the 2nd guy's phys ( band 6 and band 5 ). ESL the 1st guy got pwned ( low band 5 and high band 5 ). Chinese background those 2 got about the same.

how do u explain this? from that it seems to me internals didnt do much @ all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)