I'm doing the Coleridge poems, so... (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
I was wondering whether it's a bad idea whether to do a song or not. I have a really good song picked out that I want to do, and on which I can write well, but are poems and songs too similar? Will it be a bad impression on the HSC marker.

Also, I was wondering, do you have to know all 4 poems for things like half-yearlies, trials and the external exam? Or will you be given an option of which ones about which to write an essay?

ccc123

HSC
A song is fine, so long as you analyse it well and are able to discuss sophisticated links between the two.

In terms of whether to know all 4 poems, my techer advised that while is is very unlikley BOS will be mean enough to specify (they haven't in the history of AOS) , there is nothing in the syllabus that indicates they can't. Hence, it's probably best to know all four.

thommy

HSC
N/A
ccc123 said:
A song is fine, so long as you analyse it well and are able to discuss sophisticated links between the two.

In terms of whether to know all 4 poems, my techer advised that while is is very unlikley BOS will be mean enough to specify (they haven't in the history of AOS) , there is nothing in the syllabus that indicates they can't. Hence, it's probably best to know all four.
Thanks very much.

As for the links, I'm sort of unclear about hwat that means. Is it just contrasting the thesis' of each text? I did rather well in my asessment this term, but it was kind of a bluff. I'm still not confident on the linking.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
yay i justgot my hsc results but thought i would help out someone (if what i write is helpful lol). My teacher last year said you should only do a song if you can do it superbly, fantastically, wonderfully well. Part of the syllabus is something about a range of text types and songs and poems fall pretty much into the same category. I used the best short story as my related text cos you could mould it to ANYTHING. it was called The Lemming Factor by Isobelle Carmody and you can find it in the book Green Monkey Dreams if you wanted something else as backup.

I found that the easiest link to use was enlightenment/learning etc. pratically every journey revolves around discovering something so thats how i linked all my texts. i did pretty well with this for my AOS assessments.

Whether or not you learn all four is up to you. you can risk it or you can take the safe option. i decided to risk it and do the shorter three poems then the night before the exam i decided to look over ROTAM and ended up writing about that and Lime tree in my exam so you never know. yay :)

ccc123

HSC
thommy said:
Thanks very much.

As for the links, I'm sort of unclear about hwat that means. Is it just contrasting the thesis' of each text? I did rather well in my asessment this term, but it was kind of a bluff. I'm still not confident on the linking.
Basically, the way i would go about it is have a common, broad philosophical thesis for journeys, and relate both texts to the thesis. Obviously, there can be contrasting, as you can compare how your core text + related reflects your thesis. Hope that helps. It probably sounds a bit waffly.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Thanks Sammi and CCC, your replies habve been helpful. :)

I just have to ask though CCC, apart from having a broad thesis to which the prescribed and related texts relate, should you also have another thesis for each? As in, a thesis within a thesis?

For example, should a basic intro be like this.

Imaginative jourenys provide a learning curve, ... bothe texts__ show this.
Also, Text A conveys the idea that I.J's make us better appreciate ourselves, and Text B shows that I.J's make us ponder a rapifly different world from the one in which we find ourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)