• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i'm scared (1 Viewer)

MichaelTikk

HSC
N/A
I want to do hsc studies certificate 3 starting early next year, i am 23 and did high school in 2001. I failed the hsc badly and want to do it again but not sure what to expect, 1 thing i do know is that it won't be as stressfull because i had to do 6 subjects at high school wereas at tafe i will only do 3. Also i was getting conflicting information about when the information session is being held.

Looking Glass

HSC
I just did the HSC at TAFE. Generally, you can expect much smaller classes than school with the average age of the students being much higher. The kind of people you meet there varies with year to year. I met a handful of people doing limited UAIs, like you - 23, 24 year olds. One of them got a UAI of 96. You're generally surrounded by people who are dedicated and mature and people who may have had similar problems with the whole school situation to you. Others return because their parents are forcing them to do something, drop-outs and druggies etc. and are generally younger. The environment at TAFE is much more mature and free, though, and these people tend to just stop showing up, leaving only the focussed students by term three.

There's no mini-society, like at school - no excursions, assemblies and carnivals, obviously. Much less personal. It's a fasttrack, no-bullshit HSC without the social politics of the playground, but you're also more "on your own" in that regard. You're on first name basis with your teachers and they seem to be on your side. There's no teacher-student superiority complex going on that you might remember from school (I did have one teacher like this but he was the exception to the rule).

Simultaneously, there's no hand-holding either and you need to be personally comitted. Nobody will care or stop you from just dropping out. Teachers won't bend over to give you extensions for overdue assessments. While it will be certainly less stressful than doing six subjects, remember, you'll spend the first term doing "year 11". So the HSC year at TAFE starts with Term 2, as opposed to a school HSC year which begins in Term 4 of the previous year while they, off course, end at the same time. The syllabus gets rushed through pretty fast as a result and you'll need to do a lot of work at home to do well (like anything). Teachers are generally more competent than your typical state school, though. Classes are three hours long.

About the info session, find out the phone number of the HSC Co-ordinator at the TAFE you want to go to and give him/her a call. Check out the stickied threads about it all here, too, if you haven't already.

Last edited:

MichaelTikk

HSC
N/A
Thank you for your comments. I have tried to call the number but there is never any answer.

nothappyjan

HSC
Hi Michael,
I am being a bit naughty and using my son's rego to post a reply to you.

I teach at a TAFE campus on the mid-north coast and take some classes in HSC equivalent courses.

What Looking Glass has said is quite true about the TAFe course in general. I don't know where you or Looking Glass are located, but one thing I do know is that the staff where I teach do care a lot about their students and will do everything in their power to support their success. We don't just sit back and watch students drop out. We always try to negotiate some sort of flexible arrangement that will help you achieve your goal. Extensions are open for negotiation as long as they are requested before the due date. TAFE in general realises that you have a life outside of TAFE that presents its own pressures, so we try to be negotiable as best we can so that you can fit everything in.

The work is not hard, but it requires commitment from you. The pressure does get fairly intense towards the end of semester when exams are due and assignment work is due to be handed in.

I actually completed my Cert IV in Tertiary Preparation (HSC equivalent) in 2001 and juggled study with a family life that included 3 children at school. It was hard and at times infuriating, but the support of teachers and fellow students helped me succeed. You cannot underestimate the strength of the support of your peers at TAFE - we try to build a culture of tolerance that includes acceptance of the contributions from everyone regardles of age, gender,etc ... in other words without prejudice.

Give it a go ... I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ads54

HSC
I completed the TPC course recently and I found that the TAFE support services were much stronger than my high school counterparts. I partly attribute my success due to help and support of TAFE peers and teachers. Don't stress, just aim and enjoy your success at TAFE. And remember that TAFE support services are always there to support individuals such as yourself. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)