i'm so pissed at the system. I need to rant (1 Viewer)

D.Larie

i'm so pissed at the system. I need to rant **Questions about Tranferring*

I've always loved art and drawing.
I'm CRAZY about it. The UAI cut-off for Visual Communications is like 92-93. I only got 89.
But dammit, why don't they consider the individual's talent or how much they love art? Just because my UAI isn't enough doesn't mean I'm not freakin "good enough" to do Vis Comm! Why don't they take a look at my pictures, my past work and some of my computer art?
I'm not showing off or anything but I'm creative and I draw well, probably better than many other people who got a high enough UAI to get into the course.

I'm just saying that the system sucks! Our UAI doesn't represent our abilities. I'm probably more suited for Visual Communications than some other students. Who knows? Maybe or maybe not.
I've been an Art-fanatic my whole life and there is no other course than would suit me more than Visual Communications.

Too bad my stupid UAI isn't high enough.

Damn this sucks. *@!@#$*^#^$*_@^$#

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
You cant play table tennis with a cricket ball. Thats the system....

D.Larie

Since I've calmed down a bit,
I would like to know if I have a good chance of tranferring from an Arts in Communication course to Visual Communications.
Different Faculties.

Will I possibly get a better chance if I show a portfolio of designs, pictures I've done?

How well do I have to do in my current course to be allowed to transfer?

If I am able to transfer after this year, will I have to begin the Vis Comm. course right from Year 1, or just skip to Year 2?

If I'm allowed to skip to Yr 2, I would be very disadvantaged wouldn't I? Or would I be expected to put in extra work to fulfil the First Year's requirements?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You're only now realising that the UAI doesn't show off your abilities? The reason my UAI was so bad is because of maths which I will never use again, and that shit called english which was a giant waste of time, and I will never use again.

D.Larie

About the UAI showing our real abilities, I haven't thought seriously about that til now.

I hated Maths too. Dropped it in Yr 11. :)

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
My advice for you is do an arts course (of your choosing) at some uni and then try to transfer.

The great thing about transfer at UTS is that they allow a personal statement and/or a questionairre which gives you the chance to demonstrate how much you want to do the course.

I was doing psychology/law at macquarie with a UAI of 96.1 and I managed to get into my dream course - journalism/law @ uts (this year's cut off was 97.9 or something like that). Now my GPA was quite good (close to a distinction point average) but I truly believe that it's my questionaire that pushed me in.

My advice to you would be to choose a similiar course to the one you want at UTS. Do relevant extra curricular activities (maybe join a society and participate in some university-related events) and then when the questionaiire comes out make sure you do it properly. I talked to the law stuff before I filled out my questionaire and they said to make sure that I gave them a sense of WHO I WAS in the questionaire (as opposed to putting stuff like "i am smart and i like to help people so i want to do law" = cliched).

I think that if you REALLY want to do this course, and you are prepared to put in the effort and time, you will make it.

Oh, and about the UAI system...I hate it too mainly because there are a LOT of wankers doing law who shouldn't be. But I guess that if every single degree had some sort of personality test it wouldn't be a very effective system (i mean try testing 150,000 students!). Also, the UAI is at least effective in gauging a candidate's effort (at least to some degree) and I guess you should be consoled that your effort has been given a numeric value.

That being said, there's never ever going to be a perfect system for selecting candidates for degrees. And they'll never be a test which takes into account all relevant factors.

Anyway, study hard this year and spend the whole year thinking about how you're going to say something deep and heartfelt in your personal statement. Make an impression!

Good luck!

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hey,

Yes you can transfer.... it may not be easy, but if you try your hardest in communications, get one of your tutors or lecturers to recommend you and maintain your portfolio you will have a damn good chance. If you portfolio is good, then you would have a good chance of getting the transfer.

You will have to start vis comm from first year I would imagine, because even though it has the word "communications" in it, none of the subjects are the same as the BA Communications degrees.

S

Shuter

One of my friends made visual communications... hew must be better than you.

D.Larie

Thanks highping and braindrainedAsh!
:uhhuh:

For Arty courses such as design etc Unis should look at portfolios of artwork along with the UAI.
Why haven't they thought about doing that yet? :mad:
If they ever decide to do that - oh well. It'll be too late for me anyway.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
D.Larie said:
For Arty courses such as design etc Unis should look at portfolios of artwork along with the UAI.
Isn't that an additional requirement for some unis? Although, I'm pretty sure there were some Art courses I avoided because they relied on the portfolio-interview combination for picking people for the course.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
See, UTS used to have that for Fashion Design and then last year I think they changed it to just UAI...

I think that the portfolio should be able to count towards entry... if you have built up a portfolio it shows your interest and potential for the course. But I guess it takes up too much time/money for the uni to look at portfolios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)