I'm still confused with validity and reliability (1 Viewer)

HSC
In an experiment, if i get asked a validity question, what type of answer should i be looking for in general( like control, variables etc.). Normally I just ramble on about complete bullshit but i wanna change that

b3kh1t

HSC
I look at it like this; validity is how valid the result is, so is it close to what the correct answer is, for example the heat of combustion, is the heat of combustion close to the known value. Reliability is how reliable your experiment is and it becomes more reliable when you repeat it numerous times.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, validity is how well the experiment determines the required value (or how well it does its purpose) - ie To find the molar heat of combustion of Ethanol. The reliability is how trustworthy those results are if someone repeated your experimental method.

rawrnerozero

HSC
Reliability: If someone else did the same experiment, they would get the same result. You evidence will be more reliable if you repeat readings.

Validity: The experiment has to be reliable and relevant to the question which makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)