Imaginative journeys (1 Viewer)

tanjap

HSC
gday do0ds...
for adv english we're studying imaginative journeys...who is doing it...and any good suggestions on how to find resources on 'imaginative journeys' i.e. films..articles...etc...any ideas at ALL?
cheers
t.j.

tanjap

HSC
thankss...any other suggestions...my teacher mentioned that its a bit childish...GRRR frekn teachers make up ur mindsssss

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I've asked this in the English AOS forum but no one has replied:

How relevant is Akira to imaginative journeys?

stace212

There is an endless supply of texts for Imaginative Journey. However I suggest you look in the class of 2004 HSC English Forums for more ideas, there were plenty of us that did Imaginative Journey. LOTR is a catch 22 text, it is a prescribed test for other english HSC courses so I doubt anyone will be allowed to use it as a related text. Song lyrics are good to use.. I used Metallica's Wherever I May Roam adn ended up with pretty good marks for my trials.

Others you can use and access easily are:

Film - The Butterfly Effect
Film - A Beautiful Mind (I wish I had used this one, it fits the genre well)
Film - Rabbit Proof Fence
Film - Shrek (be careful with this one, dont just use it cause it seems easy, dont take it at face value)
Song - Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Books - The Tomorrow Series (John Marsden)
Book - The Hobbit
The Leunig Cartoons work well

Thats just a few to get you on track guys, just whatever you do make sure your related text isnt on the syllabus for another course or anything, if it is you cant do it. Ask your teachers, they have the list of HSC texts that u cant use.

For any help or notes on Imaginative journeys PM me, and I'll try to help out as much as I can!

Good Luck kiddies!

seeka_train

HSC
Toughie

I think the Imaginative Journeys is the hardest one of all....>.< so boo all those people who think inner journeys suk :uhhuh:

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
films:
the butterfly effect
star wars
big fish
wizard of oz
pirates of the carribean
aladdin
spirited away
mulan
alice in wonderland

TV shows
angela anaconda
star gate SG-1
round the twist

bah i dunno, theres a hugemungous list in the AOS forum... like, itshuge!

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Hoorah! Someone else has discovered the wonders of Calvin and Hobbs! :D

What about Fight Club? It has the imaginative part, and he definitely goes on a journey. I fully think you could. *basking in the glow of Nicholas Blood's 2001 Ext 2 English Critical Response on Existentialism*

tanjap

HSC
a beautiful mind..? i heard that that film was very good when it comes to imaginative journeys, however, i haven't even seen it yet and im planning to use it as on of my resources! i cant seem to get myself to a video store to borrow it! anyone want to give me a general outline on what its about? if you can be stuffed!
cheers.

Kulazzi

HSC
A Beautiful Mind

Russell Crowe as John Forbes Nash Jr. gives a moving performance as a troubled genius. His acting in this film is great. A mathematical genius, he makes an astonishing discovery early on in his career and goes on a painful and harrowing journey of self-discovery, eventually triumphing over odds stacked against him.

Director Ron Howard has requested reviewers don't give the secrets of the film away, so as not to let the cat out of the bag before you see the film - fair enough. It is the sort of film that would fail to fully satisfy if you knew too much, so instead I'll focus on the fact that the suspense and tension in the film is really effective. It does offer a new insight into mental illness that is fresh and rewarding, and as much as it is a suspense drama, this film is also very uplifting.

I think, for what it's worth, it is a film that documents an aspect of a life we all know on some level. The disfunctional mind attempting to rise above the odds. Be it a person addicted to a drug or someone who has flights of fantasy that are beyond control, here, in the beautiful mind of John Forbes Nash Jr. we have a person at odds with themself and the world around them.

As his wife, Jennifer Connelly does a splendid job. She has some very difficult scenes to play, and does them well. Ed Harris, as ever - great. Gripping performances all around that really moved beyond what I've come to expect from an actor like Crowe. His work has at times struck me as, a little wooden while salivating; his tendancy to dribble during highly emotional moments such as in Gladiator set him apart from most big time actors who wouldn't be so real; salivating, dribbling, letting the nose run, all effective ways to expose emotion that make a strong image, very human, but over all I haven't found Crowe subtle at all until now. With this character he has hit the mark well, so if people thought he was good in Gladiator they'll find him deeper here. There are plenty of little things he does that make him appear to be putting full effort in. Mannerisms that could be just short of over doing it - once the major problem of the character has been exposed the mannerisms seem par for the course, subtle even.

No wonder notice has been taken of this performance - it does standout. With sinister political activity abundant during the 1950's and into the 1960's there is a sense of disturbance and caution in the air, even though in some ways it veers towards Boy's Own Adventure territory from time to time, the pay off is in the final scenes. I liked it so much I would see it again and imagine it would still have the same, if not deeper effect.

Review by David Jobling

Source: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~qstage/mind.html (with a search from google)

tanjap

HSC
sheesh! that seems simple enough..why didn i think of that !

cimbom

HSC
The Imaginative Journey isn't so bad, it can be anything- even a thought! With inner you'd have to actually prove some change, and physical... I don't know. Still, journeys is way better than change. Art can be an imaginative journey... visual representations of the speculative world.

tanjap

HSC
ok cimbom i dont mean to be a bitch but WHERE did ur reply come from?? :confused: once again NO BITCHYNESS what-so-ever!
:D cheers

Kulazzi

HSC
cimbom - Eid Mubarak to you too :D

Tanjap - we have just finished fasting and so for celebration we go over to ppl's houses and say Eid Mubarak, which I think just means Happy Celebration... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)