Immigration: Little squares that define the nation (1 Viewer)

HSC
http://smh.com.au/news/opinion/little-squares-that-define-the-nation/2006/01/01/1136050344123.html

Australian society is moving from a multicultural to a mobile one, writes Paul Sheehan.

AUSTRALIA accepted 87,000 immigrants in 1994-95, the last financial year before the Howard Government was elected. Immigration was also a hot topic. The electorate was restive and this restiveness would translate into political disaster for the Keating government, in part because it played the race card so stupidly and handled immigration so badly.

Move forward 10 years. Last financial year, 2004-05, Australia accepted 123,000 new settlers. "Yes, that's a 40 per cent increase over the past 10 years," confirmed Senator Amanda Vanstone, the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, who is busy upgrading her own multiculturalism by learning Italian.

So the Howard Government has increased the immigration intake by 40 per cent, with a 10 per cent jump in the past year, it has admitted more Asian immigrants than any previous government, and more Muslim immigrants than any previous government, and more Muslim refugees - and yet legal immigration is not a hot topic, and immigration is a winning issue for the government. This has to count as a significant political achievement for John Howard.

It's also going to keep housing prices high in Sydney because, as usual, the largest number of immigrants move to Sydney. Forty thousand last year. The majority came from Asia, led by China and India. Add the growth in student numbers from Asia, and the continued high numbers of tourists from Asia, and Sydney has become a city integrated into the East Asian region. It certainly felt that way on New Year's Eve.

In and around the Sydney Opera House on Saturday night - where the traditional New Year's Eve gala put on by Opera Australia is one of the jewels in the crown of Sydney's culture - the crush of people was more Asian than anything else, from the elegant Japanese women in evening gowns, some even in traditional yukata, to the large numbers of Asian families camped around Bennelong Point, to the squadrons of Chinese students. Many are visitors, and many have made their home here. Add the usual English and European contingents and the Anglo-Aussie species was a minority in the heart of this huge public celebration.

And it was a great night. The $4 million spent on those 10,000 shooting comets and 11,000 exploding shells was money well spent, given that about a million people watched it live, and it is the first major global celebration of the New Year, an image broadcast around the world. The exploding cascade off the Sydney Harbour Bridge always delivers. It is a brilliant image for Sydney and a brilliant advertisement for Australia, which is why there were so many foreign visitors there on Saturday night.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
That's right flagboy, Mr Howard is the champion of Asian and Muslim immigration.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
... confirmed Senator Amanda Vanstone, the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, who is busy upgrading her own multiculturalism by learning Italian.
Perhaps she would be better served by learning how to run the department first.

I_F

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Fuck that shits me.
I hate immigration.

The reason the DIMIA is so disorganised is that it's really become a HR department for the government. Its efforts are so focused around media management that they can deal with the big picture.

somborac

HSC
whats your point flag boy?

"Fuck that shits me.
I hate immigration" - Wolfy

Immigration made this country what it is. Without it, god knows what Australia would be now.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
u m what a waste of money on the fireworks, every year its the same except different sign on the bridge. this years was particularly crap.

I rather quit the new years celrations, spend that money elsewhere. otherwise do something different and interesting a million dollors for less than half an hour of fireworl everyear --wtf! what kind of celebration is that.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Such fireworks displays make sydney look good, and bring in tourists.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The article was shit. RE: 55 year old impressed by modern tech-no-lo-gee, we got over this last decade.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
HotShot said:
u m what a waste of money on the fireworks, every year its the same except different sign on the bridge. this years was particularly crap.

I rather quit the new years celrations, spend that money elsewhere. otherwise do something different and interesting a million dollors for less than half an hour of fireworl everyear --wtf! what kind of celebration is that.
i dunno, the heart shaped fireworks were different.

NYE is one of the few public holiday/celebrations/occasions where its not based on religion eg Christmas, Easter etc

I'd embrace it

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
i dunno, the heart shaped fireworks were different.

NYE is one of the few public holiday/celebrations/occasions where its not based on religion eg Christmas, Easter etc

I'd embrace it
yeah, but they could do something different, u know this years was shit i think two years ago it was really good.

cos they are doing the same thing again and again -but then what esle can they do?

leetom

HSC
HotShot said:
yeah, but they could do something different, u know this years was shit i think two years ago it was really good.

cos they are doing the same thing again and again -but then what esle can they do?
What are you complaining about? The fireworks were as good this year as they were any other year since 2000. You can't really do anything other than focus on abstract themes like peace and love.

I suppose when we become a Republic, we can have a new year celebrating that and they'll stick some unifying national symbol on the bridge.

gerhard

HSC
the heart shape fireworks were good.

but yeah fireworks are boring. if youve see one firework explode, youve seen ten thousand fireworks explode, youve seen ten thousand fireworks explode every year since you can remember.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
leetom said:
What are you complaining about? The fireworks were as good this year as they were any other year since 2000. You can't really do anything other than focus on abstract themes like peace and love.

I suppose when we become a Republic, we can have a new year celebrating that and they'll stick some unifying national symbol on the bridge.
the best fireworks were in 2000, after they were all pretty ordinary.

they should allow fireworks to be blown in the backyard, that would be far better, having fireworks in your backyard. make a lot noise in new years eve, and just forget abou the harbor bridge.

Jiga

I have nothing against immigration, but I think we are focusing on immigrating too many people from Asia (As racist as that sounds). 50 years back all eurpoeans were allowed in, so their was a good mix of different nationalities, but now that doesnt exist anymore and IMO its almost like we are being flooded with a limited amount of nationalities (Maybe my views are alittle more extreme seeings I live in Bankstown area :D)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I have nothing against immigration, but I think we are focusing on immigrating too many people from Asia (As racist as that sounds). 50 years back all eurpoeans were allowed in, so their was a good mix of different nationalities, but now that doesnt exist anymore and IMO its almost like we are being flooded with a limited amount of nationalities (Maybe my views are alittle more extreme seeings I live in Bankstown area :D)
we get a lot of people from asia because

1. asia compromises a VERY large amount of nationalities, so collectively calling them asian and calling them a "limited" mix is a lil, well, offensive for me personally
2. australia's geographic location

Last edited:

leetom

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Your scorn for political correctness makes you look like an idiot.

The word you were looking for was ethnicity. Asia has just as many different nationalities as Europe, ethnically however, Asia is perhaps more monotone than Europe. (Japanese look like Chinese, Chinese look like Koreans). Even so, there is still significant physcial variation between the people that comprise 'Asia'. East Asians for example are easily differentiated from South-East Asians.

Not that you had a point to begin with. Restricting Asian immigration because they look the same? Who cares?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)