Impact of Globalisation on Australia (1 Viewer)

meh

Hey everyone!

With the eco exam coming up, I wanted to clear up a few things. Well actualy just one hugish thing that's split into a few parts. An essay that's as general as 'evaluate the impact of globalisation on the Australian economy' for some reason has been difficult for me - I never seem to hit the nail on the head.:confused:

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a hand, perhaps an essay plan or maybe an essay they have written. The thing is, I have all the info - millions of sheets but I just have no idea what to include, for some reason it's just not as easy as the impact of globalisation on China (our case study)

Thankyou to everyone in advance

Anna

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hey Anna :)

Globalisation *is* huge, and as i've advocated before, splitting it up a bit makes it a lot more manageable. For instance, look at how trade, investment, technology, finance and labour have changes in the past 20 years as a result of the global economy, and then refer to different government strategies that have been implemented.

e.g Trade: increased flows ---> reduction in tariffs, competition policy, ACCC, seeking free trade agreements (singapore, thailand, us, ANZCERTA).

Investment: floating of the australian dollar has increased capital inflows, and allowed a lot more speculation ---> much more fluctuations in the currency and more dependent on the global economy for our own growth rates.

technology: improved communications and technology and a hight take up rate by households and businesses have imporved productivty (which in turn increases growth). technology has also changed the structure of our economy, in terms of it being more service based, and more capital intensive. Improved communication and 24hr link ups with the rest of the world has allowed our rather isolated nation to become much more apart of the global business network (even if it means 3am business conferences). Has allowed 24hr trading in financial markets. Makes it easier for our exports to be marketed and sold throughout the world via the internet. Lower inflation levels and lower consumer prices since there is a lot more import competition (e.g u can buy something off amazon if its cheaper than ur local bookstore), and although computers may stay relatively the same price, every 9 months they're actually doubling in their performance capabilities...

Finance: better and easier access to finance ---> growth. Derivatives, hedging etc has created another financial subsector, service industry. Again much more interdependent on global economic developments (e.g exchange rate, interest rates). Govt has increased competition with teh introduction of non-banking financial institutions, the difference between mortgage rates and the cash rate has dropped dramatically --> increased borrowing by households.

Labour: the least altered of all teh factors. But we have a lot more expats because of greater labour movement ---> incomes remitted to aus have increased. Similarly we're getting a lot more skilled labour from asia etc, which is helping to improve the quality of our labourforce and relationships with foreign businesses which ultimately raises our level of weath. Number of migrants accepted has jumped in recent years under howard govt, with a point policy based on which industry they are in ---> so as better to balance demand/supply for skills.

The effects of this on our inflation, growth, exchange rate etc should be analysed and the general use of monetary/fiscal policy as well.

saves.the.day

HSC
Yeh what timmii has said is exactly what the markers are looking for. You'll be wanting to cover those 4 points he mentioned (they're straight from the syllabus too).

You could also cover the effect on the economic indicators such as globalisations effect on growth, unemployment etc.
Yeh if you wanted me to cover this meh..

Effect on growth: The deregulation of Australia's financial markets and capital markets has left Australia's growth rates more susceptible to the effects of economic problems in other countries. Because of the increased integration, Austarlia has become more vulnerable to it's trade partners' economic downturns and recessions.

An example is in 1996-1997, during the Asian financial crisis. During 1998, most asian economies such as Thailand (a major trading partner at the time) went into recession. The effect of this recession on Australia had a delayed effect but it was there in the December 1998 economic downturn when economic growth fell below 1%. This effect can be explained as the severe downturns in the Asian economies forced them to protect their vulnerable markets through tariffs, local content rules, quotas and subsidies to ensure the viability of their own markets. In effect, Australia lost many of its export markets in the process, this resulted in a lower productive capacity of Australia which in effect caused the stagnation of growth for Australia's economy.

Effect on unemployment: Since 1980, there has been a clear correlation between the reduction of tariffs and the unemployment rate. From 1990-1998, average tariffs were dropped from 7% to 5% and this saw the amount of goods exported rise from 50,000 units to 85,000 units from 1990 to 1998. This increase in production resulted in employment rising as more labour was required by Austrlaian producers.

However, in the short term, reucing protection will result in short term unemployment in inefficient industries. This comes as a result of inefficient Australian industries being exposed to competitive more efficient products of the world market. This causes demand for inefficient Austrlaian industries products to fall and causes them to go out of business.

This is a weak argument however, as we will only see short term unemployment fall. In the longer term, resources will be redirected to more efficient industries where a comparitive advantage is evident, resulting in more efficient industries and therefore more unemployment.

Effect of globalisation on Government policy: I've already stated that in 1990, the units of goods imported rose from 50,000 to 85,000 in 1998. Well this massive increase in the amount of goods exported, coupled with the floating of the exchange rate in 1983 led the Australian government to adopt the policies set out in the Washington concensus. In 1983, the Keating government adopted the following policies: fiscal discipline (moving from deficit to surplus), trade liberalisation, privatisation of government owned enterprises to increase their efficiency, selling of the national bank, deregulation of the financial system (fancy way of saying they floated the exchange rate in '83).

Effect on the distribution of wealth and income: in 1968, the average tariffs were at 36% and at this time the gini coefficient (index that gives an indication to the level of income distribution inequality) was 0.66. In 1997, the average tariff rate was 4.4% and the gini coefficient had drastically fallen to 0.47 so clearly the effect of globalisation in freeing up protection on trade resulted in this decline of the gini coefficient from 0.66 to 0.47.

Hope this helps you out.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Thanks saves...its good, u seem very prepared :D

P.s I'm female ;)

meh

Hey

Guys, you two have helped me sooooo much thankyou!!!!!
So very grateful atm!!!! Champs!!!

Anna

saves.the.day

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Thanks saves...its good, u seem very prepared :D

P.s I'm female ;)
haha thanks..

yeh I see from reading some of the other threads while browsing you yourself seem very prepared. Good luck with exams though..

well I think its time for me to sleep. its like 12:20 i dont know why i decided to check the forums at a time like this

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
lol uh thanks...I did my hsc last year though :p

But i have my uni macro exam on monday, so i'll take your good luck for that - thanks :D Good luck for you too :p :D

Blondie

i thought the impact on globalisation was on:
-intl convergence
-distribution of income
-environemntal consequences
-govt policies
-intl bs cycle
-financial mkts
-ec growth, devt and quality of life
-trade, investment & TNCs

at least, thats how we were told to structure a question on the impact of lobalisation, esp if the question involved our case study. :S crap :/

meh

yeah that the general one - and you can talk about all that so you're fine, don't stress. I was wondering more about the specifics of eco growth like financial flows and trade flows and all that. You have to first prove that Australia is globalised to show the impact and likewise for your case study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)