• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Impact of Maths on ATAR (1 Viewer)

HoneyBadger

HSC
My current courses are:
Business Studies - ranked somewhere in top 5 out of 30...cant remember exactly
Advanced English - 2nd out of around 30
IPT - 2nd out of 10
Software - 2nd out of 4
Visual Arts - 2nd out of 4
Maths - shitty

I know for sure Mathematics will be my worst subject and thus wont be part of my best 10units. How much will this affect my ATAR? Ive been worried by people saying that "without mathematics you are going to get a shit ATAR!". Is there any legitimacy to these claims and how well do my other subjects scale?

Im kinda new to scaling and HSC marking...its too confusing. Getting good marks and doing well is enough for me.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Provided you keep those ranks and do well in the HSC, you will do well. Don't worry about a subject that you can't score well in.

HoneyBadger

HSC
Im not worrying about Maths since I cant do well in it....im just worrying about how its omission from my 10units will affect my ATAR. I believe I can hold my rankings but I dont know if any of my subjects scale very well.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Maths will only contribute to your ATAR if it is one of your 10 best units. (English, on the other hand must be counted even if it is your worst.) So a poor mark in maths is not going to have any worse an effect than a poor mark in another subject.

HoneyBadger

HSC
How well do my other courses scale? I am highly confident in my english ability as well as business and IPT and I am fairly confident in my ability to do well in Software and Art...

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I don't think any of your subjects are particularly high scaling, but you can still get a good ATAR with them as long as you perform better than most of the other people in the course (not just the people in your school.)

Being strong in English is always a big advantage as the English units must be counted in your ATAR (apart from which, writing well is a useful skill which will help you in many other subjects.)

HoneyBadger

HSC
Yeah im confident i can do well, I enjoy all of my classes and their content (bar business and maths) so studying is a whole lot easier...
If i dont do well ill just join the french foreign legion or something...stuff marketing or IT

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)