impact of messing up an exam? (1 Viewer)

Hiheyhello

Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2019
Messages
46
Gender
Female
HSC
2021
so far i'm ranked top 3 in all my subjects except in subject Y and am coming first in at least two.

today i had an exam for subject Y and i assured myself that i would compensate and aim for full marks. however, it involved memorizing an essay, and let's just say i over-estimated my writing speed and wasn't able to finish it as it was too long (i left all the good parts from my third paragraph), and because i was in such a rush to complete it, the writing is barely legible and my thesis became lost throughout it.

i'm really mad at myself because the essay i had prepared was pretty great imo. i'm also annoyed because i performed really well in subjet Y last year and i hope that i haven't ruined it for myself.

i was just wondering how this will impact my atar because i'm kind of freaking out. will it drag me down? if so, by how much will i need to compensate (i think it was worth 20%)

oh yeah, and i've decided that tonight i am chilling as i need to take a break from school.

thanks!
 

jimmysmith560

Phénix Trilingue
Joined
Aug 22, 2019
Messages
452
Location
Krak des Chevaliers
Gender
Male
HSC
2019
Uni Grad
2022
It will have an impact, but it will be minimal/negligible as it's worth 20%, meaning that if you have done well/can do well in the remaining 80%, you will still be able to achieve a good rank. The fact that it won't affect you that much is evident as you are still ranked very high in the rest of your subjects, which is important as all of your subjects will contribute to your ATAR.

oh yeah, and i've decided that tonight i am chilling as i need to take a break from school.
Great idea!
 

RossoneriAU

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2018
Messages
32
Gender
Male
HSC
2019
Jimmy summed it up pretty well. I know people tend to do well with memorising essays, but for me, I feel that it does make you more susceptible to errors or mistakes as opposed to memorising a few quotes, analysis/facts and potentially a broad thesis that you can adapt to the question you're given in the exam. Again, it depends solely on preference, but do what works for you.

Sounds like you're on the road to a high 90s ATAR anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top