Implanon and Depo-Provera (1 Viewer)

jesscookie

HSC
ive already got the bar (rod, watever) ive never heard of that happenning.. but i wanted to know more about the injections :) mmm needles..

caligem

Uni Dropout
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Im not on any form of hormonal birth control so I can't speak from personal experience but I do know of people who took the depo shots and their periods never stopped....one girl I knew literally bled for 6 months.

If you're looking to stop your periods have you tried Seasonale? (I don't know if this is what is called in Australia)....its the one where you only have your period 4 times a year as opposed to 11 or 12.
yeah, a girl i know had that happen, she got the rod implant and had her period for 3 months and then had to be put on the pill to fix her system up or something.....neway, ive heard no good reports about those implants, i think u should def look into the injections further...

caligem

Uni Dropout
HSC
hang on....did u say she got the injections and her periods never stopped??? oops, misread.... in that case, go neither, take the pill

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Factsheet
Implanon
Date 12 February 2003

WHAT IS IT
Implanon is a small plastic rod containing the hormone progestogen which is inserted just underneath the skin of the upper inner arm and provides protection against pregnancy for the three years it is left in place.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
It works by stopping ovulation (release of the egg from the ovary) and by making the lining of the uterus thin so that it does not allow a pregnancy to grow.

It also makes the cervical mucous at the entrance to the uterus thicker so sperm have difficulty getting through.
HOW EFFECTIVE IS IT?
It is a very effective method of stopping a pregnancy with less than a 1% failure rate. This is partly because there is no need for the person to remember to take something every day.
WHAT SIDE EFFECTS ARE LIKELY?
The most common side effect is irregular bleeding which can vary from no bleeding at all to troublesome frequent bleeding. Other side effects are rare but users sensitive to the hormone in the rod may experience side effects like headaches, weight gain and breast symptoms.
WHO CAN USE IMPLANON?
Anybody requiring effective, convenient contraception
Those requiring long-term contraception (although the implant can be removed at any time)
Those who want contraception that is quickly reversible
Those that don't mind having injections or something placed underneath the skin
Breastfeeding mothers (although Implanon is not yet licensed for this use in Australia)
WHO ISN'T SUITABLE FOR IMPLANON?
Those who don't like injections or the idea of something being placed under the skin for up to three years
Those who would be concerned by an irregular bleeding pattern
HOW IS IMPLANON INSERTED AND REMOVED?
After talking about Implanon and deciding whether it would be suitable, the doctor will put a small mark on the skin of the inside of the upper inner arm. After cleaning the skin with antiseptic the doctor injects the area with a little local anaesthetic so the rest of the insertion is more comfortable. This might sting a little. When the anaesthetic has taken effect the doctor will insert the device which contains the plastic implant just underneath the skin. A dressing and a bandage is then applied which should be left in place for 24 hours.

Some bruising and discomfort around the implant is very common and can last for up to a week.

To remove the implant, a small amount of local anaesthetic is inserted just underneath the end of the implant and a small nick is made in the skin. The end of the implant is then pushed through this nick in the skin or grabbed with a small instrument and removed. This leaves a small mark on the skin. A dressing is then applied for 24 hours.

The contraceptive effect wears off very quickly when the Implanon is removed with most women returning to a normal menstrual cycle within a month. Some women have fallen pregnant a few days after the Implanon was removed.

It is very important to have the Implanon removed after three years as leaving it in place longer than this may increase the risk of an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy in the tube).

It is possible to have another Implanon inserted at the same time the other one is removed.
HOW DO I GET IT AND HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Implanon must be obtained on a script from a doctor. Most doctors will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the device at one visit and make arrangements for a woman to return for insertion at the correct time in her cycle when the doctor can ensure the woman is not pregnant. The device is available on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Australia so it is available to those with a current Medicare card for approximately $20-$25.

You can have the Implanon inserted at your nearest FPA Health or Family Planning Clinic or by a local doctor who has been trained in inserting the device.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
or more concisely....

Potential side effects and disadvantages:

abdominal pain
abnormal or irregular menstrual bleeding
acne
breast tenderness or pain
bruising at site of implant
changes in sex drive
depression
difficult and painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea)
hair loss (alopecia)
headache
increased risk of breast cancer
irritation, pain or itching at site of implant
rise in blood pressure
weight gain

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
okay, this is what i managed to find on the depo provera thing.

"Depo Provera is a hormone injection that lasts for 3 months to prevent pregnancy. The injection contains synthetic progesterone and no estrogen. It is usually given in the arm or rear, delivering a high level of progesterone into the body. Depo Provera stops the ovaries from releasing eggs. Depo Provera causes the cervical mucus to thicken and changes the uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to enter or survive in the uterus. These changes prevent fertilization. Depo Provera is a very private form of birth control because it cannot be seen on the body and requires no home supplies. It does, however, require a clinic appointment every 3 months. Depo Provera is 97-99.7% effective as birth control. It does not protect against reproductive tract infections, including HIV/AIDS. There are some serious health risks with Depo Provera, so be sure to get all the facts in advance.

The first shot of Depo Provera is usually given during or a few days after the start of a menstrual period. After 24 hours, the shot is effective birth control for the next 13 weeks. Many women find it useful to schedule their next shot slightly earlier than necessary; if something prevents them from making their appointment, there will be a window of opportunity to receive their next shot.

If you are more than a week late for your shot, use a backup method of birth control for the next two weeks. If you are more than a week late and you have had unprotected sex since your last shot, consider taking a pregnancy test before receiving the next dose.

Due to the risk of serious health problems, women with the following conditions should not use Depo Provera.

Unexplained vaginal bleeding
Known or suspected pregnancy
Depo Provera may not be recommended for women who are planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, are concerned about weight gain, have liver disease, gallbladder disease, or a history of depression. Study the risks and talk with your health care practitioner.

Health Risks:

Studies released in 2004 show that Depo Provera is associated with a loss of bone density resulting in an increased risk of osteoporosis. The bone loss appears not to be reversed when the woman goes off Depo Provera. Depo is not recommended for long term use and especially not recommended when the young woman is still growing her bones. Women on Depo are advised to exercise and take in plenty of calcium. If you have taken Depo Provera for more than two years, you might want to get a bone density test. (see article on Building Healthy Bones and factsheet on calcium-containing foods )

Some women have allergic reactions to Depo Provera.

If a woman becomes pregnant while using Depo Provera, and continues her pregnancy, there may be an increased risk of premature birth.

The effects of Depo Provera on breast cancer are still unknown.

Health Benefits:

Women on Depo Provera have a decreased risk of endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer, and pelvic inflammatory disease. You may have less menstrual cramping and pain, fewer periods, and less chance of anemia.

Side Effects back to top

70% of women using Depo Provera gain weight. Almost half of the women using Depo Provera gain more than 5 pounds after one year of use. Many women gain more than 10 pounds.

Irregular, heavy, or no bleeding are common side effects of Depo Provera. After a year of use, many women stop having periods. Lack of a period becomes increasingly common with longer use.

Other side effects of Depo Provera can include headaches, nervousness, mood changes, bloating, hot flashes, decreased interest in sex, breast tenderness, acne, hair loss, and back ache.

After the last shot of Depo Provera, it can take over 6 months for the drug to leave the body. Side effects may linger until the drug is completely gone.

Drug Interactions back to top

Few medications lower the effectiveness of Depo Provera. Women with Cushing's syndrome may take medications that interfere with Depo Provera. If you are taking any medications, tell your clinician. When taking medications that may interfere with Depo Provera, consider adding a backup method of birth control, like condoms or spermicide. As with all drugs, it is useful to inform all your medical providers if you are taking Depo Provera.

Advantages back to top

Private.
Effective after 24 hours.
Does not require regular attention.
Does not interrupt sex play.
Has no estrogen.
May decrease risk for ovarian and uterine cancers.
Women can start Depo Provera 6 weeks after giving birth.
Disadvantages

Causes loss of bone density and risk of osteoporosis.
Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
Requires injections every 3 months.
Delay of return to fertility.
Irregular bleeding.
Most women experience weight gain
Future Fertility

Women who want to become pregnant may stop using Depo Provera at any time. For some women, fertility returns immediately. For others, it may take 6-18 months or longer for the body's hormone cycle to go back to normal.

Going Off Depo

The book Contraceptive Technology says: "It is not possible to discontinue Depo Provera immediately. Weight gain, depression, breast tenderness, allergic reactions, and menstrual irregularities may continue until Depo Provera is cleared from a woman's body, about 6 to 8 months after her last injection. After discontinuing Depo Provera, women may also have a 6 to 12 month delay in return of fertility."

You might try cleansing techniques to detox or eliminate the synthetic hormone from where it is stored in your body's tissues: drink lots of water every day, eat lots of fresh raw organic vegetables, drink raw vegetable juice, sweat in a steam room or sauna, get lots of exercise and fresh air. You can also ask at a health food store about herbal formulas or teas that help detoxify your body or that balance female hormones, or talk with a naturopathic physician or herbalist.

IF you decide to switch from Depo Provera to another hormonal method like the birth control pill, the vaginal ring, or the contraceptive patch, it is recommended that you start your new method on the date the next injection is due. Use a back-up method of contraception such as male condoms, female condoms, or abstinence for the first seven days of pill use."

copied and pasted from some american site. hope it's useful.

Abbeygale

HSC
I have an implanon, and I got the continuous bleeding side effect. My doctor recently put me on hormone pills, which stopped it for a while. Now things are going a bit haywire, and I have to go back and see him.

I hope this doesn't come off as judgemental, but how well did you research/discuss this with your doctor before you had it put in? Was he aware that your intention was to stop your periods? On implanon there's only something like a 30% chance of stopping them, and a 17% chance of drawing the 'constant bleeding' card. If you talk to your doctor, he'd be the most qualified to advise what will suit your particular needs, much moreso than us.

I personally wouldn't go on depo, because I read something about a risk of thinning of the bones later in life when I was researching my options.

I should really go find cites for this stuff, but I'm on holidays and that sounds like effort.

I've tried both implanon and the pill to reduce/skip periods, and I really don't think there's any perfect solution. The pills do the best job for me, although if you're as forgetful as I am unexpected periods/babies are common. But the former are usually light and the latter can be sold on the black market.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
Old thread, but be very careful with Depo-Provera. I had it to treat Endometriosis and was admitted into hospital 10 days later with heart palpuations and very low blood pressure from it. I am sure it is great for some people, but I had a nasty experience with it, especially as I was hospitalised for a few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)