Importance of grinding in high school vs University (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I am just curious how my "academic" life will turn out to be in University. Is it like High school? Or is it more chill/stressful? Thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As a university student who is 10 days away from finishing his degree, while university was definitely challenging in terms of the substantially higher workload it imposes compared to year 12 (especially if you intend to study full time), as well as the content naturally being of a more advanced nature, I personally found university not to be as stressful as year 12, the main reason for which being that you will no longer be under the pressure caused by the need to achieve a sufficiently high ATAR to receive an offer in the case of most degrees. University is not as decisive in this regard and offers more flexibility than year 12, i.e. once you receive an offer into your desired degree(s), you can set your own academic (while being mindful of any minimum performance requirements that your degree may have) and progress-related (for example, how long you intend to take to complete your degree) goals and then start studying accordingly. Some people may equate one university semester to the whole of year 12 as a measure of the increased difficulty that I mentioned.

With that being said, the specific degree(s) that you wish to study is also a factor that you should consider. This is because some degrees may inherently be more difficult and/or demanding than others (for instance, the Doctor of Medicine), meaning that your experience may be slightly less pleasant, should you opt for one of the degrees with the highest requirements. Otherwise, what I mentioned above is likely to apply to most degrees.

I hope this helps! :D

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
As a university student who is 10 days away from finishing his degree, while university was definitely challenging in terms of the substantially higher workload it imposes compared to year 12 (especially if you intend to study full time), as well as the content naturally being of a more advanced nature, I personally found university not to be as stressful as year 12, the main reason for which being that you will no longer be under the pressure caused by the need to achieve a sufficiently high ATAR to receive an offer in the case of most degrees. University is not as decisive in this regard and offers more flexibility than year 12, i.e. once you receive an offer into your desired degree(s), you can set your own academic (while being mindful of any minimum performance requirements that your degree may have) and progress-related (for example, how long you intend to take to complete your degree) goals and then start studying accordingly. Some people may equate one university semester to the whole of year 12 as a measure of the increased difficulty that I mentioned.

With that being said, the specific degree(s) that you wish to study is also a factor that you should consider. This is because some degrees may inherently be more difficult and/or demanding than others (for instance, the Doctor of Medicine), meaning that your experience may be slightly less pleasant, should you opt for one of the degrees with the highest requirements. Otherwise, what I mentioned above is likely to apply to most degrees.

Oh nice. Early congrats on (nearly) finishing you degree!!!!

Siwel

HSC
Man depending on the courses you pick it can feel like the hsc multiplied every term

vishnay

God
HSC
depends on what degree u do

first year for most ppl ik has been much less stressful than hs mainly bc ppl dont care abt marks as much

if u want rlly good marks tho ur gonna have to grind a lot more than hs

vishnay

God
HSC

postgrad plans or is it straight into the workforce?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
postgrad plans or is it straight into the workforce?
Kind of both actually haha. The thing is that USyd has four criteria for admission, 1 of which I already meet, 2 of which are associated with the application itself and are not dependent on when I apply (i.e. I can satisfy them regardless of when I apply). The fourth one is the one that I am yet to meet, and that is a minimum work experience requirement. Because of this, I will need to gain at least three years of experience before applying, so I hope to come back to university sometime around 2026. :)

cossine

HSC
Kind of both actually haha. The thing is that USyd has four criteria for admission, 1 of which I already meet, 2 of which are associated with the application itself and are not dependent on when I apply (i.e. I can satisfy them regardless of when I apply). The fourth one is the one that I am yet to meet, and that is a minimum work experience requirement. Because of this, I will need to gain at least three years of experience before applying, so I hope to come back to university sometime around 2026. :)
Which degree. Never heard of work experience requirements for postgrad.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Which degree. Never heard of work experience requirements for postgrad.
The MBA does (understandably so):

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
From an academic perspective, I personally found uni way more intense than high school. They go through a lot of content at a much faster pace than high school. Also, self-discipline is much more of a thing in uni because you're not really "forced" to do work like in high school. You are solely responsible for your own performance. In university, they couldn't care less if you don't do your homework or don't show up at lectures because if you fail the subject they just get more money by having you repeat the course.

However, as mentioned already it really depends on what your academic goal is. Some people who did well in the HSC completely let go at uni and even fail some subjects. Others try to do the bare minimum to pass and some put the effort in to get good marks. Just be mindful that many employers do look at your academic performance in uni (e.g. some require a credit average minimum, preferably distinction average at least) so definitely do not recommend dropping the ball completely.

The only upside is I never had to write any essays under exam conditions at uni...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)