Important :- Found Catholic Paper 2003 (1 Viewer)

chris42

HSC
Found Catholic Paper 2003

Hey all,

I found some of the questions from the 2003 Catholic paper if any one would like them...

Question 4 Drama (20 marks):

Dramatists use relationships between people to engage the interest of the audience.

By examining TWO or THREE scenes in depth discuss how the dramatist represents the relationship between the following characters to engage the interest of the audience.

In your answer refer to:
(a) Bea and Isola in Katherine Thomsons, Navigating or
(b) Bridie and Sheila in John Mistos, The Shoe-Horn Sonata or
(c) Lady Macbeth and Macbeth in William Shakespeares, Macbeth

Question 5 Prose Fiction (20 marks)

The titles of the novels set for study both suggest a grim, dark view of life.

Discuss how relevant this statement is to the view of life represented in the novel you have studied and how the author has communicated this to the reader.

In your answer refer to:
(a) Robert Cormier, We All Fall Down or
(b) Jane Yolen , Briar Rose

Elective 2: Exploration and Travel (20 marks)

Write a speech to be given to a group of students who have just completed their secondary education. The central idea of your speech is that travelling without exploring is pointless.
In your speech, refer to your prescribed text and at least TWO other related texts of your own choosing.

The prescribed texts are:
Prose Fiction Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Media Les Hiddens, The Bush Tucker Man. Stories of Survival
* Gold Fever
* The Passionate Prussian
* The Great Misadventure
* Into the Vilest Country
Nonfiction Robyn Davidson, Tracks

Elective 3: Consumerism (20 marks)

Write the transcript of an interview between an advertiser and a young consumer. The topic of the discussion is That the consumer is powerless against the modern advertiser. In your transcript, refer to your prescribed text and at least TWO other related texts of your own choosing.

Poetry Bruce Dawe, Sometimes Gladness
* Enter Without So Much as Knocking
* Americanized
* Abandonment ofAutos
* Breakthrough
* The Not-so-good Earth
* Televistas
Multimedia Real Wild Child Consortium, Real Wild Child

Elective 2: Dialogue (20 marks)

You are a keynote speaker who has been asked to open a forum on Expcrience Through Language to future HSC candidates.
Explain how your prescribed text and at least ONE other text of your own choosing have been crucial to your understanding of how humans interact and communicate in society.

Drama Jane Harrison, Stolen or David Williamson, The Club
Poetry Komninos, Komninos by the Kupful
* hillston welcome
* diary of a residency
*eat
* thomastown talk
* drunken derelict

Elective 3: Image (20 marks)

You are a keynote speaker who has been asked to open a forum on Experience Through Language to future HSC candidates.
Explain how your prescribed text and at least ONE other text of your own choosing have been crucial to your understanding of how humans interact and communicate in society.

Poetry Kevin Gilbert (ed.), Inside Black Australia
* Oodgeroo Noonuccal, The Past
* Errol West, There is no one to teach me the songs that bring the Moon Bird
* Kevin Gilbert, Tree and Kiacatoo
* Eva Johnson, Weevilly Porridge
* Jenny Hargraves Nampijinpa, Yuntalpa-Ku (Child, leave the tape recorder)
Film Baz Luhrmann, Strictly Ballroom
or
Peter Weir, The Truman Show
Multimedia Raymond Briggs, When the Wind Blows

Focus Changing Perspective

Changing perspective creates awakenings.
Use this statement as the title of either an essay or speech or feature article. You must refer to your prescribed texts, ONE text from the prescribed stimulus booklet Changing and other related texts of your own choosing.

Prose Fiction - Melina Marchetta, LookingforAlibrandi
Drama - Louis Nowra, Cosi
Poetry - Peter Skrzynecki, Immigrant Chronicle
* Feliks Skrzynecki
* 10 Mary Street
* Migrant hostel
* Post card
* Kornelia Woloszczuk
* Crossing the Red Sea
* Chronic ward
Film - Rachel Perkins, Radiance
Non-fiction - Carmel Bird (ed) The Stolen Children Their Stories

Indepedent Paper 2003 I think -

Question 2 Drama (20 marks)

(a) William Shakespeare, Macbeth
How are the ideas in Macbeth expressed through Macduff and Banquo?

Or

(b) Katherine Thomson, Navigating
How is the setting of the play established by Thomson? How important is it to the unfolding of the drama?

Or

(c) John Misto, The Shoe-Horn Sonata
In Mistos play contrast is a powerful dramatic device.
Explain how contrast is effectively used in TWO incidents.
Katherine Thompson, Navigating
John Misto, The Shoe-Horn Sonata
William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Question 1

Text One (Article and Graphics)

(a)

(i) What change does Patti Moore undergo?

(ii)Explain the effects of TWO techniques used to convey the message of change.

Text Two (Prose)

(b)

(i)
What change in their lives made the schoolgirls and the mother cry?

(ii)
Explain the difference between what the child says to her friends and what she feels.

Text Three (Poem)

(c) How is nature used as a metaphor for change?
Texts One, Two and Three

(d)Explain how each composers purpose has been achieved.

Texts

Text One (article and graphics)

What its like being 80, but still feeling 25 inside (by Adele Horin)

Patti Moore was 25 when she decided to travel the US disguised as an old lady.
Wearing latex make-up, a back-brace to curve her spine, and industrial ear plugs to make her partially deaf, she visited 116 cities and felt the discrimination, rudeness and physical difficulties experienced by the elderly.
Inside I was still 25, and I wanted to take my walking stick and hit them over the head, she said.
But after a while I started to accept second-class treatment as normal.
Ms Moore, an industrial designer and gerontologist, is in Perth for the 6th Global Conference on Ageing which has attracted 1250 delegates from 26 nations.
The journey she took 25 years ago made her a better industrial designer, she said yesterday on the eve of the conference. She learnt to design every thing from a frying pan to a light rail system with the elderly and other incapacitated people in mind.
But the physical difficulties she experienced on her odyssey getting on buses and up out of chairs proved less of a revelation than the abuse she encountered.
I had no idea how terrible it was to be a bother to other people, she said.

She was beaten up by a gang of 12-year- olds, pelted with stones, mugged, ignored and pushed aside. People were impatient with her slowness wood strapped to her knee made her stiff- legged and irritated by her deafness.
She was also treated with kindness about half the time. Its a lousy ratio, she said, to wake up in your 80s and wonder, Will this be a good day or a bad day?
Over the course of four years, she dressed up as a bag lady, a typical 80- year-old, and a rich, demanding Nancy Reagan type.
She tried out different levels of disability from relatively mobile to wheelchair-bound. Her experiences were published in a book, Disguise, and Ms Moore admits that if a genuinely old person had written the book, it might not have attracted so much interest.
Now that she is 50\and heading on a one-way trip to the territory of the aged, she hopes attitudes have improved, and tomorrow will be a better day.
But looking around her hotel room, she found plenty of evidence from the tiny print on the room service menu, to the awkward handles on the drawers that good design for an incapacitated and ageing population had a way to go.

Text Two (prose)

From Elizabeth Jolley, Memories of Childhood: A Collection of Reminiscences, edited by Lee White

I dont cry in the loneliness now but there were times when I did.
Between autumn-berried hedgerows I cried in the middle of a road which seemed to be leading nowhere. Brown ploughed fields sloped in all directions, there were no houses, shops, trams, and there were no people, only the rooks gathering, unconcerned, in the leafless trees at the side of an empty lifeless barn. The anxious looks and little words of comfort from the other two girls only brought more fear and I screamed till all three of us stood howling there. And then we made our way back through our tears to what was left of our first boarding school Sunday afternoon.
I didnt understand then what made me cry. It was only much later that I could put into words something of the shock of discovering the loneliness and uncertainty which is so much a part of living.
The tears of childhood are frequent and children sometimes know why they are crying but hesitate to explain. So when Edith and Amy said to me later in the cloakroom, Why are you crying again? I couldnt tell them it was something about the changing light at the end of the autumn afternoon which reminded me of the time of day when my father would return, knock the carbide from his lamps on the doorstep and bring his bicycle into the safety of the scullery. How could I tell them of this longing for this particular time when he lifted his enamel plate off the hot saucepan and the smell of his pepper rose in the steam.
Its my father and mother, I whispered.
Why whats wrong with them? Edith asked.
Oh, I said, they have such dreadful fights. I looked at my new wrist watch. Its just about now that my father comes home drunk and he beats my mother till shes black all over.
Edith and Amy gazed at me with reverence. And I was so overcome with this new and interesting picture of my family life, I forgot this thing called homesickness. But I knew something about it when I was little.
When I lay in bed, long ago at home, I could hear my mothers voice like a stream running as she talked up and down to my father. And every now and then my fathers voice was like a boulder in the way of the stream, and for a moment the water swirled and paused and waited and then rushed on round the boulder and I heard my mother talking on, up and down.
I thought I heard my mother crying in the night, her long sighs followed by ny father creaking on bent legs along the hall.
What for is Mammy crying? I called to him...
It is nothing, he said in his soft voice. Go to sleep. It is nothing, she is homesick, that is all.

[ writers mother had migrated to England from Austria.]

Text Three (poem)

Western Warbler Mary Durack
There is a singer somewhere in the spring forest, the notes high-pitched and tentatively sweet posing to clear skies an urgent question too abstract to complete.
I had forgotten that enchanted landscape that once how long ago? circled my days wherein the child I was, through tangled years, beckons me back to the parting of our ways.
I grope as in a dream, but the track I followed has closed behind me.
All my blazed trees have grown another cover and the marks of my old camps have long grown over. Even the milestones where I scratched my name have gathered lichen. Nothing is the same.
But behind closed eyes
the faint echoes of memory ring suddenly strong, In swift surprise
I am returned to my lost forest on that thin, questioning song.

Footnote:
Western warbler a songbird
Blazed trees trees marked to show the way/path
Lichen moss

Last edited:

chris42

HSC
Np's, I love using OCR, its the best!.. By the way what's a sticky?

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
sticky is that the important things , placed at the very top its goes in bold "IMPORTANT"

chris42

HSC
Ah ok, Cool,Thanks to the admin that stickied it :)

Last edited:

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
Re: Found Catholic Paper 2003

Question 4� Drama (20 marks):

�Dramatists use relationships between people to engage the interest of the audience.�

By examining TWO or THREE scenes in depth discuss how the dramatist represents the relationship between the following characters to engage the interest of the audience.

In your answer refer to:
(a) Bea and Isola in Katherine Thomson�s, Navigating or
(b) Bridie and Sheila in John Misto�s, The Shoe-Horn Sonata or
(c) Lady Macbeth and Macbeth in William Shakespeare�s, Macbeth
does that mean that we dont need to include any related texts??
how exactly would you go about answering this??
my head isnt working for me today lol

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
Re: Found Catholic Paper 2003

Question 4� Drama (20 marks):

�Dramatists use relationships between people to engage the interest of the audience.�

In your answer refer to:
(b) Bridie and Sheila in John Misto�s, The Shoe-Horn Sonata
does this mean that we dont need to include related texts??
how exactly would you go about answering this??
my head isnt working today lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)