Important question!! (1 Viewer)

flashboy27

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to get a band 6 in an essay question (Germany or Indochina for instance) without mentioning historians. I haven't got any quotes as I dont know what questions they are going to ask?how do i prepare quotes which are so narrowly directed on something, on a topic which is so broad? ie. germany and indochina. For instance if i prepare a quote on Hitler, it may not be useful depending on the question. Is there a marker out there that can tell me??? It's stupid all this hisorian crap they should just test you on your own knowledge....

KarmaKitten

HSC
Your own knowledge is based on someone else writing a textbook, a source, a program.

it isnt YOUR knowledge, history is about interpretations, which is why they want historians from you.

no, i dont think its possible to get a band 6 without historiography, cause the markers will sort the papers out and decide which are band 6 quality, and im sure they will be the ones with historians in them,

flashboy27

HSC
N/A
i see your point maybe i can get some quotes out of my text books im just sick of remembering quotes thought i was done remembering them after english.. it really sucks how many should you try to remember?

blacmajic

HSC
N/A
well, depends how good it is without the historians, but you prob need some historians to get band 6!!

But the trick is, you dont have to quote the historians as such, you just have to make references to some - see what im saying?
you just have to say:
many notable historians, such as so-and-so, believe that the war was sarted by........(and whatever!!)

so , you can even just use the writer of the txt book, or just get some names from the library on the net, know what topics they wrote about, then just refer to them, then it doesnt matter what the exact question is, you can just mould it to fit the Q ( basically you make it up, but dont directly quote!)

flashboy27

HSC
N/A
yeah thanks blacmajic thats a good tip I feel better on it now. This is my hardest exam. Its just so broad but hopefully we get good questions. Good luck

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
no, i dont think its possible to get a band 6 without historiography, cause the markers will sort the papers out and decide which are band 6 quality, and im sure they will be the ones with historians in them,
Actually, it IS possible to score Band 6 without explicit use of historiography or even historians. Of course, many of the top responses have it (probably because of the widely held belief that it's ESSENTIAL) but I know senior markers and they will readily give top marks to repsonses which display insight and comprehensive knowledge (as well as answering the Q effectively) but don't contain historiography. So yes, it is definately possible to get a Band 6 without historians. Having said that, historian's quotes and arguments dont hurt your cause either but just because you dont have it, it doesnt mean you're locked out of the Band 6 range automatically. That is not true at all.

espo14

Banned
Just memorise some really general quotes. Like ones you can use within many q's.

danie

a fool
HSC
anyway apparently some people make them up. no joke. and it is very possible to get in to a band 6 w/out historian's quotes. we got a band 6 response example in class no historian's views at all just the facts and critical analysis (account, analyse, discuss etc.). critically analyse the question, historiography serves to back up, helpful but not necessary.

flashboy27

HSC
N/A
yeah i was thinkin of making it up but i get worried that they will just catch you out. generalised quotes? got any?

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yeah well it's not in the marking criteria like it is in ancient so I guess it's not essentially, but definitely better to try and at least mention some names. I wouldn't quote from your text book though. Try and find actual historians, otherwise you defeat the purpose.

mattchan

HSC
Well, i reckon it all depends, i mean if you get a really easy question for Germany this year and every has the basic content blah blah blah,(i mean anyone can just regurgitate information out) etc. etc., the markers will distinguish the good answers by those who have quotes and Historiography mentioned.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is more than one way to distinguish a high quality response form a poor response. Bad answers are not separated from good answers simply by regurgiatation.

danie

a fool
HSC
use your text book i'm assuming you might have the same as me, so after every chapter are a couple of historian's views. go to your library and borrow out some books. if you have a bookroom go there and check out the textbooks. i htink the most important thing is YOU make an evaluation that is concise, succint, relevant and articulate and imporve on that by backing it up with historiography.

KarmaKitten

HSC
1) examine a range of perspectives and interpretations from historical sources about the national study in the specified period and consider why these views might differ
H4.1 evaluates sources for their usefulness and reliability in relation to specific historical investigations

Yes. you are expected to HAVE historiography in your essays.

mattchan

HSC
Thought i've seen that before. Of course you gotta have interpretations, otherwise why the hell would there be historians

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
1) examine a range of perspectives and interpretations from historical sources about the national study in the specified period and consider why these views might differ
H4.1 evaluates sources for their usefulness and reliability in relation to specific historical investigations

Yes. you are expected to HAVE historiography in your essays.
Not all questions examine the same clauses of the syllabus. NBut think what you will. You're expected, yes, but is it a REQUIREMENT i.e ESSENTIAL. No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)