• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

IMPORTANT: requirement of a TFN to defer HECS! (1 Viewer)

thisser

Tfn

Apparently we need a tax file number, for hecs.. problem is, I'm not sure I have one?? :confused:

eneleon

Plain Insane
HSC
Yep, I don't either, my mum told me to call the number, and apply for one, my friend said it takes 2 weeks to a month to get one, so just apply, and say you applied for one, and it hasnt come, but provide proof of it, or something :D

Call this number to get one: 13 2861

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
If you're over 16 or 17 (I think) the ATO should have already mailed you your TFN. If not, ring them up (find the ATO site to find their number) and say you want to know your TFN. Then you have to provide some details to prove you're who you are. Couldn't be any easier.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yes, you need a Tax File Number if you plan to "Defer" your HECS ...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by RCMasterAA
If you're over 16 or 17 (I think) the ATO should have already mailed you your TFN. If not, ring them up (find the ATO site to find their number) and say you want to know your TFN. Then you have to provide some details to prove you're who you are. Couldn't be any easier.
You don't automatically get a TFN. You have to apply. And they aren't going to give you this information over the phone either (security reasons), your number will be mailed....

santaslayer

HSC
is this true?.....as i read the enrolment thingy and it said u need one to defer hecs! if so, then how do i go about getting one? and how long do u think it'll take? will i get one b4 27th of january coz thats my enrolment date!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i'm applying for mine today, it's on market street in the city if you want to know. and bring a few forms of ID, including somethign with your current address, like a bank statement.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes u need a tax file number - I suggest u go to the ATO TODAY and apply for one, they usually take about 2 weeks
I think u dont have to have one until the HECS census date which is in late March, but I'm not sure about it

T

timbk2

it'll take a couple of weeks to get it. but in the meantime they will send you a 'confirmation of application for TFN' or seomthin like that which you can use to prove you have or your gettin a TFN.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
There are places you can go to apply in person, but I'm not sure if you can actually get it any sooner that way...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You wont, but you will get the notification saying that you applied for it on the spot.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i sent mine in the mail when i got a job i needed to have one.. u print off the form and like send them ur documents.. i sent a school id card, a bank statement and a certificate from school then they send it back and shortly after send ur tfn

thisser

Thanks everyone, I filled out a form by downloading off the ATO site and then went to an ATO access place - got a sheet that acts like a temporary TFN, or so said the employee, and that my tfn would arrive within 28 days by mail. phew. :)

I guess I should present that sheet to the uni erolment place, right?

Edit: it would be dangerous, but it is a way to apply.. they say that the documents will get mailed back to you, but that's fine if only nothing unexpected happens in the transmission..

thisser

I was aware I had to book (every website says to ring them) but I just turned up. Got done in 2 minutes, in and out. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, i got my TFN, when i was at skool- our year advisor kinda forced us to apply for one- and now i c why she did that. :)

btw, i heard u need to bring ya passport along to the enrolment day....is this true? coz my passports expired and i haven't been bothered to go renew it. :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)