Important word definitions for 4u math. (1 Viewer)

Eddyah

HSC
I find the hardest part of 4u math is the ridiculous words/sentences they often use.

If someone could post a list maybe defining what the harder ones mean, that would be cool. Or we can just help each other out :)

First one: 'Even monic polynomial'? Im looking at the answers and im guessing thats a polynomial with either even cffts (probably not) or a polynomial with even powers.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm pretty sure it's a polynomial with an even degree. A monic polynomial has the leading coefficient of 1, so it can't possibly mean a polynomial with even coefficicents.

AlvinCY

HSC
An even function follows the rule of:

f(x) = f(-x) :) So most of the time it's x raised to even powers, but you can get functions which are even, when it's not just an x raised to some power.

e^2x is a good example.

But yeh, I think referring to polynomials, it's often just x raised to even powers, as for monic, like Trebla has said, it's just a polynomial with leading coefficient of 1.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
All terms in an even polynomial is the variable raised to an even power, otherwise p(x) would not equal to p(-x) :p

haque

HSC
AlvinCY said:
An even function follows the rule of:

f(x) = f(-x) :) So most of the time it's x raised to even powers, but you can get functions which are even, when it's not just an x raised to some power.

e^2x is a good example.

But yeh, I think referring to polynomials, it's often just x raised to even powers, as for monic, like Trebla has said, it's just a polynomial with leading coefficient of 1.
Yeah, e to the power of x^2 and any other even polynomial satisfies the even function rule, for an even monic polynomial, leading coefficient one, all powers of x even numbers.

There, I just flogged a dead horse.

kony

HSC
monic - coefficient of leading power is 1

even - p(x) = p(-x). the result of this is that all the coefficients of terms with odd powers are zero. a big clue when doing relationships between roots and coefficients.

Last edited:

Eddyah

HSC
Cheers. I knew the monic part, but im surprised i didnt get the 'even' part :S

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
yeah - a lot of those mathsy sorts of words are very intimidating - and they often like to put them in exam questions to try and throw you out.

If this happens to you, don't let them win, and stay calm and make an educated guess as to what it means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)