impossible to get HD in CHEM1 an 2?? (1 Viewer)

luxslash89

HSC
i've heard that it is REALLY difficult to get HD in the CHEM subjects, not because of the academic aspects of it, but rather the practical stuff. because the results for chem exam an chem prac etc r added up, i also think it will be difficult to gain an HD (which i am tryna get). any ppl who'r doin or have finished CHEM1 an 2? wat do u think?

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
yes it is very hard.

out of 150 people last year i know only 3 got a HD.......

fucken stingy dogs

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
no not really...have a mate that got 95+ for both chem 1 and chem 2 so its not entirely impossible. If you know your stuff then youll be able to ace your prac reports and hence get a good mark out of it. Dont put pressure on yourself in getting a HD...just do the best you can

krayzie_

HSC
no not really...have a mate that got 95+ for both chem 1 and chem 2 so its not entirely impossible. If you know your stuff then youll be able to ace your prac reports and hence get a good mark out of it. Dont put pressure on yourself in getting a HD...just do the best you can
+1

But yes very hard for people who are new to chemistry, unless they are super duper talented, which most of them aren't.

as someone above said out of 150 ppl, maybe 10 max would get hd

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I'm obviously not a science student, so don't take this as gospel, but I have a mate doing MedSci who was told by the lecturer that "you, or the person sitting next to you, will not pass this subject" in regards to Chem1. For Chem2, it was "66% of you will fail".

Of course, if you actually apply yourself, you may find this is not the case, but as far as I have been led to believe, they're quite difficult subjects.

cyrius

HSC
i'll be doing chem 1 as well because of my double degree,,,if its that hard then i'm in much deeper sh*t than i thought...i wouldn't say that i'm good in chem so could anyone give me some tips or advice please? and is it that different from HSC chemistry?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i didnt do HSC chem so i couldnt give you an answer as to whether its similar or different to chem 1, but i suggest you do the tutorial exercises that coincide with the lecture material, since doing the questions obviously would give you a better grasp of the topic.
If you need extra help theres always the chem learning centre/UPASS. Its opened on certain days i think.

HSC
well I know that I am taking chem 1 again this year as I failed.. thanks to the practicals *sigh*

i only did chemistry in year 11 then dropped it when i came to year 12, so I cant be of any assistance. But do try and go to the Upass sessions. I am signing up for them this year, because i really cannot afford to screw up again..

if you can afford it, get the prescribed texbook because last year i found most of the exam questions were rather similar to the textbook questions - plus it is a pretty handy book too.

anyway fingers crossed that the both of us get through chem 1 and 2 this year!

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
I'm obviously not a science student, so don't take this as gospel, but I have a mate doing MedSci who was told by the lecturer that "you, or the person sitting next to you, will not pass this subject" in regards to Chem1. For Chem2, it was "66% of you will fail".​

Of course, if you actually apply yourself, you may find this is not the case, but as far as I have been led to believe, they're quite difficult subjects.​

HAAHAHA..yeh the lecs all try and scare you...they'll give you all these stats about how sooo many people fail Chem 1/2! Chems can get pretty shitty, but its not tooo bad. I think my friend got a HD in chem 1 , and probably in chem 2. Its possible, but hard. The pracs arent too bad...so dont worry about that...just make sure you do your postlab work and check it (thats all they mark usually)

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
HAAHAHA..yeh the lecs all try and scare you...
From what he told me, the statistics were about right. That doesn't mean people won't get HDs, just that it'll be more difficult than in other subjects. He barely got a pass, when he usually gets distinctions. I'm not so sure about all the lecturers trying to scare you though, being that none of mine have ever said anything like that.

Last edited:

cyrius

HSC
If you need extra help theres always the chem learning centre/UPASS. Its opened on certain days i think.
how do u register for UPASS? it says on the site that you have to be enrolled on the subject and that it would come out as wks on your mysubject activities but i cant see it. do you have to register for chem learning centre or do you just attend 1 if you like to?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
how do u register for UPASS? it says on the site that you have to be enrolled on the subject and that it would come out as wks on your mysubject activities but i cant see it. do you have to register for chem learning centre or do you just attend 1 if you like to?
If UPASS works the same across all faculties, they'll tell you in lectures when/where the UPASS session is running, and I believe you can register once that announcement is made. You don't have to show up more than once (ie. you only need help for a particular topic), or even at all, really. I'm not 100% sure registration is a necessity, but I've never been to a session, so in reality, it probably is.

luxslash89

HSC
Liar, prove it
(=_=; ) how in the H would i be able to prove it... jus believe me or dont lolz.
btw it was a close one tho. i got exactly 85 !!! makes it harder 4 u to believe eh-
ima lucky bastard :haha: i wasnt that new to chem anyway

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)