Improve ranking (1 Viewer)

abdog

HSC
N/A
Can ranking be improved? E.g if a student messed up his first HSC assessment, but aced his half-yearlies, trials and HSC, would his rank be higher?

Jikky

HSC
Definitely, it would depend on how well your cohort does.

deswa1

HSC
No. Whatever rank you get in the first assessment that would have the lowest weighting out of all your tasks is the final rank you end up with. /notsrs

Honestly, is this a serious question? Obviously you can improve (even if you think you did horribly, you can still improve). One of my friends (note this is a selective school so pretty competitive as well -> i.e. harder to improve ranks) was ranked like 80/132 in english adv. after the first assessment weighted at 25%. He ended up at 7/132...

Good luck =)

Capt Rifle

HSC
pump the half yearlies and trials as they have the biggest weighting

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ofcourse you can! But it can go the other way too. The first assesments are usually worth 10-20% which is not a whole lot compared to later assesments.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
I was ranked near last out of 120 in english in year 11. ended up getting 1st. Just work hard and stop stressing!

Bobbo1

HSC
Lol, analogy wise, first assessments are warm ups to a sporting match, half yearlies are about 1st quarter, then yearlies are half time and the last few minutes are the HSC :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Can ranking be improved? E.g if a student messed up his first HSC assessment, but aced his half-yearlies, trials and HSC, would his rank be higher?
Well, if everyone else did comparatively worse - then of course.

I fought my way from mid-table in English to second.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
pump the half yearlies and trials as they have the biggest weighting
I was going to say trials weigh more then half yearlies until i saw you mentioned both, dat lack of sleep really gets to you :L Investment banking hours here i come

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can almost certainly gain rank in any realistic situation. By realistic, I mean, the whole cohort doesn't just magically achieve full marks or extremely high marks.

inJust

HSC
I was going to say trials weigh more then half yearlies until i saw you mentioned both, dat lack of sleep really gets to you :L Investment banking hours here i come
You dont need to sacrafice sleep for good marks. I made sure I was in bed by 11-12 every night. And I still came top 5 is all my subjects. Not to mention, I was pretty lazy and watched shows all the time, or procrastinated.

abdog

HSC
N/A
So guys, the first assessment isn't going to have a big impact on atar, provided if you aced all your other internal exams? Is that right?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You dont need to sacrafice sleep for good marks. I made sure I was in bed by 11-12 every night. And I still came top 5 is all my subjects. Not to mention, I was pretty lazy and watched shows all the time, or procrastinated.
Yeah, i'm not one to chuck all nighters to study etc and this was a one off. Its just that i left one of my tasks pretty late, and at the last minute i had a family gathering yesterday in the arvo, the day before my exam today... So staying up was mainly to just do work i would of done in the arvo anyway.

T-Hud

HSC
Notsureifsrs. I went poorly in first Business assessment so thankfully, yes, you can improve your rank.

HSC
N/A
Rank is determined by your internal mark (assessments, half-yearlies, trials). The HSC is an external mark.

But yes, you can improve your rank, even if you did poorly in your first assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)