Improving Japanese (1 Viewer)

MissScarletRed

HSC
I desperately need help in improving my japanese continuers. My writing is my weakest point followed by reading and writing then speaking.

Some people say that watching Jdramas are good, others say it is bad...cos they speak in plain form and it screws up your polite speaking form...Others say watching the news is better.

Also, how should i be learning vocab??? Flashcards? Rewriting them? I seem to have trouble memorising kanji as well :(

Any suggestions???

Kat92

HSC
I desperately need help in improving my japanese continuers. My writing is my weakest point followed by reading and writing then speaking.

Some people say that watching Jdramas are good, others say it is bad...cos they speak in plain form and it screws up your polite speaking form...Others say watching the news is better.

Also, how should i be learning vocab??? Flashcards? Rewriting them? I seem to have trouble memorising kanji as well :(

Any suggestions???

おはよう、どのようですか?

I never completed Japanese continuers. However, I completed Japanese from yr8 to yr 10. I found that for speaking, obtaining a disc i.e. Japanese for busy people and practising saying the exercises back to a recording is good. For reading, I constantly went over my hiragana, katakana and kanji on a regular basis and then put it into practice by reading letter practice exercises and doing ACER language booklets. Writing, I ended up constantly looking at the symbols trying to memorise what they looked liked and their stroke order, I pretty much ended up doing this about 3 times a week until I perfected it.

For vocab, I ended up getting a couple of Japanese picture dictionaries that dealt with different topics, i.e family, transport,etc and learnt a couple from that. Flashcards and rewritting are also good, along with making up your own sentences with the newly learnt words.

I've personally never heard of Jdramas, however I did watch the Japanese news and was able to pick some things up. So, it may be more beneficial if you watch the news.

Good luck, hope that some of these suggestions help you! :)

幸運と世話をする。

Sadistic29

HSC
Actually, watching J-dramas, and news etc. are good ways to help you learn more vocabulary and also be exposed to various ways in which structures are used, irrespective of whether or not they speak in plain or polite form. It also tunes your ears for the listening component for the exam and I found it exceptionally useful when I did Japanese continuers as an accelerant.

Whilst I highly recommend you to watch or even listen to Japanese programs, I think you should also read passages of various text types that could turn up in the exam like, say, from the Wakatta textbook. Reading will help you refine the applications of the structures, learn good phrases to use - the passages are like the model which you could base your future writing tasks around. Reading will also help you learn more vocabulary pertaining to each topic. After you gain an understanding on how to write/ how certain passages are written, I emphasise you should practice writing tasks - it all comes down to practice. I found doing many writing tasks and getting my teacher to check it, suggest better ways of phrasing and critique it a really good way of improving my skills. This also applies for reading and responding in english - get someone to check whether you've answered the questions fully with all the required examples.

For the vocab, the above two suggestions are great ways but what you said also is a good idea. Rewrite vocabulary and memorise them. But make sure you understand how to use them and when to use them correctly, and this can be done by looking up in the dictionary for examples of the use of a particular word. It's pointless writing something you're not sure of so if in an exam condition you don't know how to use a word, I also highly recommend you to use relative clauses. E.g. If you didn't know how to say 'oil spill' you could say 'sekiyu ga umi ni takusan hairu koto' (sorry my computer doesn't have language tool). Get the idea?

As speaking was my strongest part, I recommend you to keep a small book in which you write all the answers to the questions you can think of pertaining to each topic. You should have about 2-3 sentences for each question (for depth) and have about 2-3 structures in each sentence (but no more as it would be inauthentic and too complex as well as difficult to understand, and no less as it would be too simplistic). After you write answers to questions you can think of, you should write questions which can arise from your answers. My teacher calls these type of questions "carrot" questions - your answers prompt the examiners to ask you certain questions. To clarify simply, if you are asked "What sport do you like" you could say "I like tennis...But I also like netball" and the second part of the answer would prompt the examiner to ask "do you play netball outside school?" etc. etc. Usually in an examination, the examiner will ask you simple questions and then progressively get harder to distinguish students in to bands, so practicing for every possible question will make you really prepared. As this is the speaking part, not only should you have answers to these type of questions, you should read your responses over and over again and also record yourself to listen and analyse your fluency. Practice is the way. :)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
The above statements are both very good suggestions.

I also found that watching a lot of Jdramas and anime in japanese (without subtitles) helpe me a lot personally. But overall it depends on what type of learner you are. I am an audio visual learner so that's why i found using a visual medium was extremely useful. (The same went with Jpop and Jrock).

Vocab i found the doing the same as Sadisitic29 and also using postit notes everywhere (including doing like 'kick me' signs on my friends also worked :p).

If you also wanted additional help i would also suggest maybe getting a penpal (PENPALS for kids, students, Blogs, Teacher ads, penfriends, forums for kids - 100% free is a good site for this).

But overall just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE & PRACTICE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)