In 2008, midsem break after 2 weeks of uni (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol everyone here might be real happy about next year's 12-week semesters...wait till you get into 2009, apparently UNSW wants to possibly have 3 semesters of 12 weeks each year.

Anyhow that's my 25 cents :p

It's all good for students finishing their undergrad study by next year (excluding Hons)

Pace_T

HSC
its so annoying to see them wanting 2 change it... y cant they bloody well leave it the way it is?

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lol everyone here might be real happy about next year's 12-week semesters...wait till you get into 2009, apparently UNSW wants to possibly have 3 semesters of 12 weeks each year.

Anyhow that's my 25 cents :p

It's all good for students finishing their undergrad study by next year (excluding Hons)
Where did you hear this?

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Rekkusu said:
apparently UNSW wants to possibly have 3 semesters of 12 weeks each year.
3 semesters??

3 trimesters.

at school 4 terms, i guess terms to relate to tertiary(in the number sense,i think thats right???, not education wise) then at uni semesters, now trimesters, what the hell!!

ok everyone now unsw is going to have pentamesters and each will be 10 weeks long, leaving at total of 2 weeks spare each year.
hmm?? I agree they should leave it the way it is.

Also regarding that 2 weeks then mid break, i reckon they have put into the system that we are starting a month later, so that the break is a month earlier in terms of weeks(e.g. 6-4= week 2). so we prob start a month b4 it says, i hope they made a mistake.

Well thats my buck fifty( i know it aint a saying but what the heck!!).

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
This 3 semester stuff will never happen. Some courses rely heavily on industry experience of student for learning, and require the summer break work.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn its pretty screwed having a week of holidays 2 weeks after uni starts....its not like youre going to be doing anything in those 2 weeks anyways, so basically its a waste of time, and the next 10 or so weeks is just going to be full on

Rekkusu

HSC
oops, I shouldn't have told everyone about this. [Please keep this to yourselves for now! As a Boredofstudies secret]

It's still a proposal at unsw, a Professor knows this in advance, and he only says that its "probable" not definite. I can't say anymore.

I daresay UNSW will use 3 semesters, but if its not gonna happen in 2009, it probably will in the near future. Honours students won't need to worry about this, since they do research, not coursework (unless if they've elected to do coursework).

>< That's right Jemsta! Lol my course has already started 12-week schedules, so although we get to finish 2 weeks before everyone else this year, we've got compressed lectures!

Still though, next year's gonna be pretty mad with 'more' holidays. But will have to wait and see how they allocate when and where each semester begins & ends.

If the 3 sems does come in, maybe we'll be able to fast-finish our 3 year degrees into 2!!! :)

Last edited:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Even if this does happen, it won't apply for all courses. Mining Education Australia just invested about 3 million into making the mining course at three uni Australia wide common. This is supposed to happen for some other industrial engineering courses as well. Unless every uni changes to this system, it won't happen. I can't imagine just UNSW implementing this system, it would screw with jobs and industrial training and such.

Rekkusu

HSC
Mm hm. It definitely does, same for AGSM and ADFA. Man, Mbbs degrees change unpredictably.

fat_penguin

HSC
doesn't the idea of 12 weeks scare anyone else? while i love the idea of extra holidays, squishing all the work, assignments and everything into 12 weeks scares the heck outta me.. >< (so do those ten weeks after the midsession break :S:S)

and stuvac!! 4 days including the weekend?? ... dang. hopefully my need to procrastinate vanishes, cause there certainly wont be time for any of that =(

HSC
i like that mid semester break! i am going too america the next day my finals are over and its so ghetto i gotta wait until early may too get that finalised timetable so i can get my ticket, i lost about $400 getting a late ticket :(

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
12 weeks is pretty much what we have now anyway, you don't learn anything in week 1 or week 14, and you only actually study in the last few days before your exams.

Casmira said:
i like that mid semester break! i am going too america the next day my finals are over and its so ghetto i gotta wait until early may too get that finalised timetable so i can get my ticket, i lost about $400 getting a late ticket :(
I've got the same problem. You might wanna think about buying it now though, some of the earlier planes were completely full cos its at the start of school holidays too. this is to HK tho.

Rekkusu

HSC
politik said:
You're confused. It will be three semesters at 12 weeks each. But one will still be Summer Session, and won't be compulsory. Winter Session will disappear.
Dude you're confused, where is your official evidence that UNSW will utilise 3 semesters at 12 weeks?

Even my professor was not certain.

politik said:
They're not going to 'squish' anything. They'll just force lecturers to skip admin/revision lectures at the start and end of each course.
No you're wrong mate. Yes, content will be "squished" in fact I'm already taking a 12-week course this semester, and my lecturer has deleted 2 sections of what he was going to teach, and combined 4 topics-worth into one section.

politik said:
Because every other Uni has 12 wk semesters.
Where did you hear that? :) I think Macq Uni still has 14-15 week semesters. http://www.chiro.mq.edu.au/Enrolment/index.htm

Also, did anyone join the student rally today that took place apparently from the lawn to the CBD or something to protest against this 12 week semester idea?

Last edited:
HSC
politik said:
exam timetable is released late may, so I have to buy my plane ticket later thus having to pay premium to get a plane ticket at short notice

Pace_T

HSC
Casmira said:
exam timetable is released late may, so I have to buy my plane ticket later thus having to pay premium to get a plane ticket at short notice
here it says early may https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/examinations/Correction.html

but thats the provisional one, if that makes a diff i duno
i hope alans right coz no way im doing 3x 12 weeks ..... 2 semesters would be good. it shits me hard how we have to do 14 weeks yet all my friends at other unis do 12weeks wtfff man. gay

gman03

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Also, did anyone join the student rally today that took place apparently from the lawn to the CBD or something to protest against this 12 week semester idea?
I am actually FOR the 12 weeks idea, despite I am going to do my thesis next year (if things goes on plan).. I am just not used to the idea of 10 days of uni then break again.

I don't understand why ppl dislike about the 12 weeks idea? Because it is a change?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Where did you hear that? :) I think Macq Uni still has 14-15 week semesters. http://www.chiro.mq.edu.au/Enrolment/index.htm
we have 13 teaching weeks followed by 2 weeks of exams. so either 13 or 15 week semesters depending how you count it. we have a 2 week break after week 6.

so will you have 12 teaching weeks or is that including exams? do you currently have 14 teaching weeks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)