in dilemma? (1 Viewer)

sinthy

Uws Vs Unsw

I'm juggling 2 options here 4 university entry, i could either do a B Business at UWS at parra or resort to a engineering degree at nsw/uts/syd . i like science and maths i'm thinking i should settle with an enigneering degree , but the only problem is that i heard engineegin does not have a good career scope..so would it be adviseabe if i get a business degree at uws?...i dont mind but i'm a bit worried about uws reputation in terms of getting a job..i heard job markets prefer graduates from city uni...

help..?

Last edited by a moderator:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
you can always transfer after one yr of study at eith uws or a city uni to a better course or u might even like uws- who knows?

mack

Banned
HSC
frog princess said:
I'm juggling 2 options here 4 university entry, i could either do a B Business at UWS at parra or resort to a engineering degree at nsw/uts/syd . i like science and maths i'm thinking i should settle with an enigneering degree , but the only problem is that i heard engineegin does not have a good career scope..so would it be adviseabe if i get a business degree at uws?...i dont mind but i'm a bit worried about uws reputation in terms of getting a job..i heard job markets prefer graduates from city uni...

help..?

The whole "prestige" thing only becomes a problem if your employer is an elitist snob who will only choose USYD or UNSW graduates.....

sinthy

would electrical/telecom engineeering be adviseable..kih thanks for the article..it helped..but only prob is i'm not too keen on civil ( enigneers resposible for structural things like bridges..roads- josiekiller.)....and unsw is offering this new course where u can combine an enigeering degree with commerce...shoudl i let that go 4 a business degree....i mean..would it be worth it..or is this something that i have to decide for myself?

Last edited by a moderator:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well it depends on the uai- in the end u can always change course and transfer from uni to uni if u do well.................either way ull figure things out in the next few yrs

klh

HSC
oh yeah, i forgot about telecom/electrical. However, My uncle works in AT&T Canada and i asked him about his line of work. It will be needed in the future as communication is the ultimate requirement in the future but the degree you should pick should be electrical engineering and not telecom becasue you do the same things anyway, that is working with electronics, but electrical gives you broader skills to work more places. Sorry, i forgot about electrica eng.
Combining them is your decision, but business skills means giving your another set of skills that may seperate you from the engineering only people. BUt it will take dedication to pursue it and that you will see people graduate and find money before you which still pisses me off [my friend is at woolies is earning alot more than i am right now and by the time im out he might have a car and all] .

Jacks

HSC
I don't know much about the specific degrees you mentioned but I can only advise you not to be worried about getting a degree from UWS because you think that it won't get you a job. I mean a degree is a degree and I don't think it makes much of a difference where you get it, and chances are if it does it is somewhere you probably wouldn't want to work anyways :p Of course you can always transfer but if it is just a question of prestige etc then there is really little need to...I mean I could probably transfer to a city uni for next year, but I'm quite happy where I am...so all I can say is weigh up your choices based on the degree and your interests...not on the uni that offers it :)

TheKey

HSC
That eng/comm course at UNSW sounds good, i was going to apply but then i would never make it with just a credit average and my UAI of 89. If you can, do it! But if you cant dont think you can do elec eng and transfer, its possible but not as easy as it sounds.

i think business would be easier to start with (im only saying this is because you get less hours a week for business degree and you dont do any great maths, thats according to my friend who did economics at parra and got high D average but only got like <30 in 2 unit HSC maths). Also thats assuming business degree has same subjects as economics in 1st sem.

As for elec engineering, at UNSW its quite broad (im sure its broad at whatever uni you go to) so you dont have to really worry too much about what you will end up doing straight away, you can decide this later. (I still dont know what i want to do, so im transfering to eng/arts to get a bit of maths and english related subjects untill i decide where i want to end up).

Also i agree with Jacks, but if engineering is what you want come to UNSW :)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
an eg of your scenario would be like Dingo2004, while he tossed between some communications degree at UTS and Business at UWS, at the end he chose UWS and doing really well in his grades atm. prolly transfer already to another uni :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)