in "lamb" :| (1 Viewer)

evche

HSC
I think the meat councils spring time advertising for lamb is definitely crossing the line. i was in Hurstville Westfields yesterday, and saw giant banners saying "lamb is in the air" with two lamb chops together in the shape of a love heart.
As a vegetarian, i would rather not see hunks of meat hanging in front of me when i walk through the shopping center. I think its fair enough to be offended, especially when they are still viewable when i eat lunch at the food court.
on another level, i find the notion of "love" and "death" put together so deliberately ridiculous.

anyone agree?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
hey i was in hville westfields yesterday too !! twinz !!
yeah i don't fancy those lamb ads either. esp the one where lamb is a perfume... wtf.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
How is showing the product crossing the line?

It's advertising, dude.

evche

HSC
scarybunny said:
How is showing the product crossing the line?

It's advertising, dude.
i know it sounds silly, but there is ethics that should go along with advertising.
and it isnt the picture, its the positioning, the size and the image being shown along with the product.

evche

HSC
but say instead of a baby sheep, it was "baby" written on the sign.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yup lamb is delicious.

The thing is, vegetarians need to accept that most people don't believe that farm animals have a right to life. Their sole purpose is to be slaughtered and grilled. It's harsh but it's how things have worked since the beginning of time, and it's never going to change.

Accept it and move on.

evche

HSC
my point here wasn't the ethics of eating meat, i think my stance on that is pretty clear.
my point was whether or not its right to have such a poster hanging in the middle of a shopping center, where it could, and has offended many people, yet it is allowed simply on the fact that being a vegetarian is laughed at.
if a religious image or one which is recognised as more "politically incorrect" was advertised like that, i'm sure the complaints would be paid much more attention.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
You'll have to link us to the poster, because right now it sounds like you're offended by a picture of a piece of meat on a poster that's advertising meat.

-tal-

HSC
Probably sounds stupid, but first time I saw the "movie trailer" I thought it was real

Last edited:

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Is this kind of a 'have some respect for something that died' type thing, or a 'have respect for vegetarians who don't want to look at this' thing? I think the former is a more respectable point - they're going to advertise their product whether you like it or not, and meat is unavoidably everywhere - but the way it's done is always up for questioning.
That said, I can't think of anything hugely objectionable about a bad pun and some chops.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Really, it's just advertising. Plus as a vegetarian you're kind of in the minority anyway. MMM lamb. :D

It's a totally different thing from a poster depicting a controversial religious statement/image. It's just meat.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
what i don't understand is who are these posters actually advertising? as in, which company? it seems to just be advertising the greatness of lamb, rather than the greatness of a company that slaughters lamb.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I don't see how it's offensive.

It's a poster advertising meat. So it has a picture of meat on it.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well lamb is pretty great
ahahaha. yep, totally agreed, but it's not as if the lambs are paying for the posters to be hung up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)