In need of advice on whether to drop Maths or Extension History... Or none? (1 Viewer)

Laughable

HSC
To put it in simplest terms: I suck at maths (last year I was ranked like.. 100/120 or some where around there). I don't want to drop to general maths because I hate that more than maths.

Also I'm REALLY behind on maths... Actually no, I'm behind on all my subjects because my dad forced me to go overseas (I actually enjoyed it lol) and so I missed out on 1 whole month of school. I can't catch up on everything and I'm just really stressed out, especially about maths.

I also have extension history too, but I can't cope with these two at the same time. I have more interest in extension history than in maths though and I'm willing to fork out more time on this than maths. I also need to put more time into english because that's my 2nd worse subject and I can't because I'm always stressing about maths... It's literally always in my head.

I just want some advice on what I should do... I can't catch up on maths in time for my half yearly exams (week 8 and 9) for the life of me... Even if I wanted to drop down to General I would have to catch up on a whole years worth of work and that sounds even more daunting than Maths.

Oh and does extension history scale/align better than maths or what?

Coookies

HSC
Drop maths, you hate it and won't put in the effort.
I think lots of people pick maths because you've pretty much done it your whole school life, people don't get that its OPTIONAL like every other subject (besides English). If you're bad, just drop it, it'll take a lot of stress off your shoulders

ZeeZee3

HSC
If you hate it, drop it. If you like it , keep it. Like all others, I say drop maths completely if that is what you think of it. Since you have more of an interest in Extension history, you should continue with it. As for aligning and scaling, dont worry about it, its better to do good in a subject which has poor aligning and scaling than to do bad at a subject and rely on aligning and scaling. That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking it into some thought though.

delian

HSC
N/A
Definitely do a subject you like (or at least, won't hate). That way you are more likely to put in more effort and succeed in that particular subject.

Galladrim

HSC
If you enjoy History and don't enjoy Maths, drop Maths.Funnily enough I was in the exact same position when it came to year 12, and I was really glad I did drop Maths, you feel so much better for it. Attitude can really count for a lot here. Don't concern yourself too much with scaling considerations. If you enjoy something, and you are willing to put in the hard miles, your marks will take care of themselves

Either way, be confident in your decision and don't look back ;)

Best of luck!

Attachments

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not 100% sure but I think it should be safe to assume that Extension History should scale better (not by a lot though) than 2U Mathematics....
Do the subjects that you know you can rank better in!

loaves

HSC
Drop maths. There is seriously no point continuing if you've fallen behind and don't have the motivation to catch up - no amount of aligning/scaling can improve a terrible mark.

Laughable

HSC
Alright it seems that everyone has advised me to drop it... Thanks for all your help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)