• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

In search of a mentor xD (1 Viewer)

Atheek

HSC
Heya guys =D

I really feel that medicine is the career for me.

Anyway, i reside in the west side of Victoria ....

and i was wondering... does anyone know any hospitals, groups ... etc ... which can help to further enhance my understanding of the field ?

Like, i did work experience at Werribee mercy hospital , and i think that really helped to cement my aspiration to become a doctor, but this was in 2008.

Is there any other places which will accept volunteers and such ?

Many thanks in advance =)

Atheek

HSC
Oh yeh sweet , thanks man ;)

P.S ...

do u rkn extra curricular "stuff" are prerequisities to do med ?
Or are they just intended to reflect ur passion ... ?

Would getting a HIGH (atar + umat) score + solid interview offset this ?

xlol

HSC
N/A
There certainly are not prerequisites. It's a choice people make.

I'm not sure what you're directing it too, but certain universities have subject prerequisites just putting that there.

HIGH (atar + umat) score + solid interview = Getting into your course!

:)

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Oh yeh sweet , thanks man ;)

P.S ...

do u rkn extra curricular "stuff" are prerequisities to do med ?
Or are they just intended to reflect ur passion ... ?

Would getting a HIGH (atar + umat) score + solid interview offset this ?
well yeah because entry is usually (and i don't mean always) determined by considering all 3 aspects of your application. that is, umat score, atar score, and interview. so if you haven't done any extra curricular "stuff", your interview is likely to suffer but if you make up for it with other good scores then i guess they will offset it.

BUT, that's sorta pushing your luck. basically zero extra curricular stuff = screwed for interview. the interview is a huge part of your application and how do you expect to do well in it if you haven't been involved in your community? community involvement is extremely important. for RSES we had to write an essay based on how we were involved in the community. they don't want nerds who do nothing but study all day.

Atheek

HSC
well yeah because entry is usually (and i don't mean always) determined by considering all 3 aspects of your application. that is, umat score, atar score, and interview. so if you haven't done any extra curricular "stuff", your interview is likely to suffer but if you make up for it with other good scores then i guess they will offset it.

BUT, that's sorta pushing your luck. basically zero extra curricular stuff = screwed for interview. the interview is a huge part of your application and how do you expect to do well in it if you haven't been involved in your community? community involvement is extremely important. for RSES we had to write an essay based on how we were involved in the community. they don't want nerds who do nothing but study all day.

Oh yeah fair enough...

But wat kinda extra curricular stuff are they expecting ? Are leadership roles in sports , school delegation team (school captain) .. etc ... considered "exta curricular too" ?

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah fair enough...

But wat kinda extra curricular stuff are they expecting ? Are leadership roles in sports , school delegation team (school captain) .. etc ... considered "exta curricular too" ?
anything really... and when i say anything i really do mean anything. pretty much all extra curricular activities demonstrate a willingness to be involved, motivation, determination, team work, etc. all desirable qualities in med

Atheek

HSC
Wow. thanks so much man...

now i'll be able to sleep better at night , because of you :D hehehe.

cheers

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Wow. thanks so much man...

now i'll be able to sleep better at night , because of you :D hehehe.

cheers
also make sure to get some work exp in the field (even if it's just a week or so during one of your holidays). they ALWAYS ask this at interviews and it looks really bad if you try and weasel your way out of that question with unrelated examples. :p aside from that, most people will have more than enough to talk about. i was just talking about the select few cases where you get people with zero cocurricular involvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)