In search of some advice... (1 Viewer)

hereyes

HSC
Dear BOSers
I need advice.
How should I treat these 'holidays'?
I've been working quite consistently throughout the year and feeling somewhat prepared for the HSC. In spite of this, I still feel quite nervous - especially hearing from a few of my mates who have seriously knuckled down and are studying 24/7.
They are telling me to do this also - for fear of the HSC. Should I just push myself and (possibly) risk burning out?
Can I still do well without studying 8hrs+ a day?

Advice?

Johanist

HSC
A little more never hurt anyone........i think. Hmm well seeing your subjects you seem to be english orientated but still wish to continue maths, and seeing as the maths is only 2unit it seems that your not that good at maths, or something.. soo you could just do more maths. I mean seriously maths the more you do it the better you get at it, if your doing it properly.

My 2.2 cents..

EDIT: didn't read the 8hr bit.. lol 8 hours a day.. lol okay seriously don't do 8 hours a day, like 4-6 shud be enough IMO, you need to relax and relieve any stress. 8Hours is overkill man..

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I guess only you know where you're up to with your study, if you feel you can reach your goal with the amount of study you are doing at the moment don't start stressing yourself out for no reason. While a lot of people will say its best to try and get the absolute highest marks you can, i don't think this mentality is really compatible with all people. If you're aiming for say 85-90 cuz your desired university preference is in that range, i don't see why you should flog yourself to death in an attempt to get 98+, particularly if you are already pretty satisfied you will reach your goal with the study you are doing.

EDIT: that said, some peoples goals do require them to push themselves to the limit, its all relative.

Last edited:

Johanist

HSC
ahh true that but i didn't mean to imply that, i mean't that no-one is perfect at maths so the more you put in the better you get out, sorry if i implied the wrong thing. But ye i know of a couple of yr 12 that do 4U english and 2u maths and are pwning the kids who doing 3u math so ye..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Dear BOSers
I need advice.
I've been working quite consistently throughout the year and feeling somewhat prepared for the HSC. In spite of this, I still feel quite nervous - especially hearing from a few of my mates who have seriously knuckled down and are studying 24/7.
They are telling me to do this also - for fear of the HSC. Should I just push myself and (possibly) risk burning out?

Advice?
With only two weeks left, I'm sure you can push a bit harder.
I mean, even if you do burn out, you'll still have the knowledge from your previous preperation - it's not like you'll forget, just means you can't cram the night before an exam, which isn't advised anyway.

MrDimple

HSC
A little more never hurt anyone........i think. Hmm well seeing your subjects you seem to be english orientated but still wish to continue maths, and seeing as the maths is only 2unit it seems that your not that good at maths, or something.. soo you could just do more maths. I mean seriously maths the more you do it the better you get at it, if your doing it properly.

My 2.2 cents..

EDIT: didn't read the 8hr bit.. lol 8 hours a day.. lol okay seriously don't do 8 hours a day, like 4-6 shud be enough IMO, you need to relax and relieve any stress. 8Hours is overkill man..
this is the stupidest thing i heard today =.=

if you do 2 unit maths = you suck at maths? wtf

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Dear BOSers
I need advice.

Advice?
Yes.

Just use the holidays to set apart some time (not all unless you are an Asian aspiring to do Commerce/Law at UNSW) to revise, and practice random questions from random topics in Mathematics as well as random extended responses to questions courtesy of your English teacher (request some from her/him).

HSC
Yes.

Just use the holidays to set apart some time (not all unless you are an Asian aspiring to do Commerce/Law at UNSW) to revise, and practice random questions from random topics in Mathematics as well as random extended responses to questions courtesy of your English teacher (request some from her/him).
I guess only you know where you're up to with you're study, if you feel you can reach your goal with the amount of study you are doing at the moment don't start stressing yourself out for no reason. While a lot of people will say its best to try and get the absolute highest marks you can, i don't think this mentality is really compatible with all people. If you're aiming for say 85-90 cuz you're desired university preference is in that range, i don't see why you should flog yourself to death in an attempt to get 98+ if you are already pretty satisfied you will reach your goal with the study you are doing.

EDIT: that said, some peoples goals do require them to push themselves to the limit, its all relative.
These posts are essentially motivational :)

Finx

HSC
8 hours a day really isn't that stressful. Think about it, if you're awake for 16 hours a day, then all you have to do is study one hour on, then have one hour off. Rinse repeat. Simple, no?

Sadiah

HSC
Dear BOSers
I need advice.

Advice?
You shuoldn't use the formula of "per hour" study because it's quality over quantity. You should go topic by topic.

Regardless, you should study in the timeframe which suits you - don't over do it but don't get too unconcerned about it either. Tell your friends to stop bothering you - they're only just freaking you out, like one of the other members said earlier.

But 8 hours of study!! - Kicks me. =)

sam5

HSC
some of u pple are crazy.

Quotes like "only 2 unit maths" and "8 hrs a day should be enough" piss me off.

It pisses me off when 4 u maths pple think theyre king shit. Extension subjects are poor value, and u can do just as well without them i can assure u.

Mate, dw what ur friends r doin. Study; but as soon as u feel bored of it go and do somethin u actually like to do.

Dont stress about it. Its all about gettin a balance. Do as many hours study as u feel like.

moshi.bum

HSC
It's a good thing you're feeling relatively prepared. Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't completely stop studying but at the same time don't study your butt off when you really don't need to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)