Incentives (1 Viewer)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Has anyone known of a teacher to give incentives to their classes for good performance in the HSC? As in prizes? As in $100 prizes for band sixes? Well, theres this teacher at my school, who told her classes (legal and business studies) that she will PAY THEM if they get a band six. Dammit!! Why did I not do legal or business? Anyway, shouldn't that be illegal or something? At any rate, it doesn't show a great confidence in or expectation of her students... she obviously doesn't intend on paying $2000+, does she now? I can't believe it. My maths teacher said she'll shout us lunch once its all over... yeah. But she's expecting us all to get band sixes, so no prizes. But I can't believe this other teacher is going to pay money... well, she says she will, anyway. Still... shouldn't there be some kind of regulation against this? Your thoughts?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
starbaaa said:
Anyway, shouldn't that be illegal or something?
It's illegal. You could report her if you wantred to, and she'd get in trouble. It's not really that big of a thing, though. She'd probably just get a slap on the wrist.

One of mine's offered to shout us drinks once it's over. :p

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
meh, she could always say its a gift.

lol, as a side issue..

I did a bet with my friends... about 6 of us puts in a dollar every week or so from the beginning of the hsc. The person who got the highest uai wins the kitty. :D guess who won?

s0k0y0e0

HSC
starbaaa said:
Has anyone known of a teacher to give incentives to their classes for good performance in the HSC? As in prizes? As in $100 prizes for band sixes? Well, theres this teacher at my school, who told her classes (legal and business studies) that she will PAY THEM if they get a band six. Dammit!! Why did I not do legal or business? Anyway, shouldn't that be illegal or something? At any rate, it doesn't show a great confidence in or expectation of her students... she obviously doesn't intend on paying $2000+, does she now? I can't believe it. My maths teacher said she'll shout us lunch once its all over... yeah. But she's expecting us all to get band sixes, so no prizes. But I can't believe this other teacher is going to pay money... well, she says she will, anyway. Still... shouldn't there be some kind of regulation against this? Your thoughts?
The only incentives I've had, was that I used to have a science teacher that gave the class stickers when we did well, and then when you reached 10 stickers, he'd buy you anything in the canteen up to $5; that was pretty good!

I have a maths teacher now, and if you do really well in class or in an exam; she shouts you a drink or lunch at the canteen!

I like these teachers; it's good to be rewarded, it makes you work that little bit harder! :uhhuh: :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
When I did the HSC, our EES teacher said, everyone who gets a band 6 will get a chocolate cake. We all went back to the school in Feb - and he bought everyone a chocolate cake :D and only 3 or 4 ppl got band 6. Mind you, it was a small class.

04er

HSC
starbaaa said:
teachers usually dont keep those promises. They're just attempts to save their reputation or increase their satisfaction as a teacher (that they 'helped' their students to get better marks). I say such incentives are the final remnants of desperation.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
That's pretty damn cool... I mean technically people should do well because they want to, but in a practical situation, a pile of money and/or fear is great motivation. I would have thought it was illegal, though.
My history teacher many years ago offered a cd voucher for whoever finished this massive worksheet first... and I did. It was cool. :)

brightsea

HSC
Geez, and I thought my Ext. History was class getting it good. As we start class at 7:30am on Wednesday and Friday my teacher brings coffee (not instant, thank god!) and tea. We each take it in turns to bring breakfast.

Food is my ultimate weakness. Actually, I'd probably rather have food rather than $200 :D

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
lol

My old science teacher last year bought 3 guys in her class X at a bush rave for failing. hahaha.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
My maths teacher got alcohol poisoning in uni, so he doesnt touch any alcohol anymore. As a joke, in 1995, the year 12 boys gave him this massive bottle of Beam. He says that the person who gets the highest mark gets it, but it has to be over 90. lol he sed its been collecting dust for 10 fucking years!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
My old 2unit teacher said he'd give my friend $500 if he got a band 6 and he dropped 2 general 2
but the teacher knew he wouldnt get it thats y he made such a bet! :rolleyes:
I wouldve tried 2 get band 6 in general if i was offered 500
2unit sucks compared to general :chainsaw:

monique66

at least if you fail, you get free beer :) i've heard that if you get a # next to you ppl buy you drinks cause they feel bad for you :rolleyes:

And no, i'm not planning to fail for that reason...!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
My teacher said if any of us got B6s we would get to put our hand down her pants. Turned out to only be a few of us. But i reaped the rewards many times.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
incentive: probably a long lecture on how I could've gotten better if I did this or that

another incentive: speech on how public schools do it better

meh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)