Incline/Decline benches (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
So I currently have a gym bench which i could do chest exercises. It doesnt have any incline/decline feature. My question is how important are these features to working out/bulking out? Can I still achieve same results even if i just do normal flat bench presses?

cheers guys

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
So I currently have a gym bench which i could do chest exercises. It doesnt have any incline/decline feature. My question is how important are these features to working out/bulking out? Can I still achieve same results even if i just do normal flat bench presses?

cheers guys
Incline bench press is very effective, for chest exercises, the 45 degree incline works the upper chest muscles, which is fairly important.

greekgun

HSC
Yeah like wrxsti said it is mainly used to stimulate the chest muscles - but their are heaps of other ways to work out ur chest besides incline/decline bench press. And if u rly want to do chest exercised on a bench press then u can bench the dumbells without the incline.

quik.

HSC
As mentioned, incline work will focus more on the upper chest, while flat and decline work will move the focus mostly to the lower portion of the chest.

I'm not really sure of how to work around it, typically if someone is lacking in the upper chest they.. do incline work. Off the top of my head, weighted pushups with your feet elevated might help.

You might find, eventually, that you are lacking development in that upper chest area.. although until you put on a pretty large amount of mass it won't really be an issue.

greekgun

HSC
If u want to work ur upper chest u can always do milatary machine presses, dumbell fly's or resistant bands (cant remember wat the actual name is - buts pretty much u go on the machine which has 2 wires on each side of the body, grab them and pull them so both arms are straight infront of u....their kinda like fly's).

quik.

HSC
I'm reading it as he only owns a standard bench, ie not a member at a gym with all that equipment.

greekgun

HSC
oh, guess i didnt read it properly. hmm lol then i guess he can only do chest press, dumbbell fly's and push ups.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
As mentioned, incline work will focus more on the upper chest, while flat and decline work will move the focus mostly to the lower portion of the chest.

I'm not really sure of how to work around it, typically if someone is lacking in the upper chest they.. do incline work. Off the top of my head, weighted pushups with your feet elevated might help.

You might find, eventually, that you are lacking development in that upper chest area.. although until you put on a pretty large amount of mass it won't really be an issue.
what quik said, push ups with your feet elevated is an excellent way to work the upper chest muscles without an incline bench.

Cisco-Kid

HSC

cheers guys
well, to bulk up, you should be working on just one muscle group per day
monday - chest, tuesday - biceps, wednesday - shoulders, etc, etc

the flat bench works more on your outer part of your chest, the incline works on your upper chests and decline works your lower chests.

just doing constant flat bench isnt gonna get you results. i suggest getting membership at your local gym. (if you wanna bulk) you have to keep your muscles guessing and change your whole exercise routine every 8 weeks. this cannot be done just using a flat bench. for the best most effiecient workout, you should be doing something along the lines of....as ive read, you wanna bulk up, so heavy weights and less reps is more along the lines for you

CHEST -
flat bench - 4 sets (choose a weight where you can do on an average of 6-8 reps per set) on the last set of each excersise, do as many reps as you can
incline - 4 sets
decline - 4 sets
flys - 4 sets
pec deck - 4 sets
all in one workout

if you want more info, pm a brother :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)