incomplete/co-dominance? (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok i'm so majorly confused with the two of these - which one is where neither gene is shown, rather a blending (eg. pink flowers from red and white parents) and which one is where both are shown (eg. roan cattle from white and red parents)

i thought the first was incomplete, and the second co-dominance... but some of the bos notes are telling me it's the other way around

s2ophie

HSC
Wow this is a question you should ring the advice line about because it would be more fun than me answering it!!

Anyway though, from my understanding, incomplete is the snap dragons and the roan cattle is codominance.

actually i just checked at HSConline and they use the roan cattle as an example of codominance.

Is incomplete dominance actually mentioned in the syllabus?

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
incomplete dominance occurs when two recessive alleles for the same trait occur. thus both appear in the phenotype.

co-dominance occurs when two dominant alleles make up the genotype resulting in a mix/blending of the trait

jims

HSC
my textbook (jackaranda, so it may b completely wrong) says that codominance and incomplete dominance and partial dominance are all the same deal.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by mullet hunter
UR A FUCKIN IDIOT, IF U DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CO DOMINANCE AND INCOMPLETE DOMINANCE, U SHOULD COMMIT SUICIDE!
ITS LIKE THE FIRST THING U LEARN IN YR 11
JUST DROP OUT OF SCHOOL AND FORGET THE hsc. START A TAFE COURSE AS A HOOKER COS THATS THE ONLY WAY ULL MAKE MONEY
someone is really friendly... plus i don't think incomplete and co-dominance is in the yr 11 course at all...

Originally posted by s2ophie

Is incomplete dominance actually mentioned in the syllabus?
i don't think so... but i just wanted to clarify which was which... thanks for your help!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz...... not incomplete dominance is not in the syllabus, but hey, it doesn't hurt to learn an extra bit of knowledge!!! unless u r like me, wif a specific capacity of memory..... in order to save some thing, u need to delete some more important stuff..... ne way, incomplete is when white + red = pink, co do = white + red = white / red patches

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by mei_ling03
incomplete dominance occurs when two recessive alleles for the same trait occur. thus both appear in the phenotype.

co-dominance occurs when two dominant alleles make up the genotype resulting in a mix/blending of the trait
mmm... it is the other way around.. maybe you would like to know before you go into the HSC ;)

Incomplete dominance is the result of two recessive alleles. The phenotype of such organism will have a blend of the characteristics carried by the alleles. This is why they are all saying Snapdragon is an example of this. Red Snapdragon + White Snapdragon = Pink Snapdragon.

Co-dominance is the when both alleles are dominant and both of these characteristics will be shown in the phenotype. For example, the human blood group AB is a result of co-dominance as they are both dominant.

braindead

HSC
incomplete dominance, co dominance is the exact same thing,

take it eeeeezy

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
no they are not! i bet my umm... m,i,t,o,c,h,o,n,d,r,i... *lost my a yesterday... i'll bet my ummm.. r with ya, there's only one r.. anyways, mee bet my "r" of my mitochondria with ya that they are D.I.F.F.E.R.E.N.T :D

take it seriously ;)

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
yeah oops i recalled wrong
mitochondria is right
co-dominance --> 2 recessive
incomplete dominance --> 2 dominant

it's in the OTEN (distance education) booklets...

leilou70

Originally posted by braindead
incomplete dominance, co dominance is the exact same thing,

take it eeeeezy
No, they aren't. They're pretty confusing though. I always get confused.

I dont know that the syllabus mentions it but I'd get the facts straight anyway because I'm sure they'll have a question on it.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mitochondria
no they are not! i bet my umm... m,i,t,o,c,h,o,n,d,r,i... *lost my a yesterday... i'll bet my ummm.. r with ya, there's only one r.. anyways, mee bet my "r" of my mitochondria with ya that they are D.I.F.F.E.R.E.N.T :D

take it seriously ;)
uhm, okie but wut do u get if u won the bet?? and extra r?? lolz

crazylilmonkee

HSC
ok..
co-dominance and incomplete dominance are not the same!
co-dominance is when both of the alleles are present.. hence the 'co' in co-dominance and this is the example of the roan cattle which comprises of red AND white fur to make it look 'pink' froma distance but its not.
incomplete dominance is the BLENDING of the characteristing cos neither is considered dominant, hence the result of pink flowers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)