Incorporating a case study into a response (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
In Section IV, are you meant to address the theoretical aspect of the question and simply use a case study to justify what you have said...maybe just a few lines per point of argument?
Or is the focus of the response meant to be primarily on the case study itself?

Is it wise to state theory that addresses the question but isn't necessarily relevant to the case study, and only use the case study when appropriate? Or should virtually every point you make be backed up by your case study in order to get a 19+/20?

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
The last section is specifically aimed to adress the case study/ies that you did during the year. in a ratio it is about 80-10 case study-theory. you talk about the case study (qantas, bilabong, coca cola etc...) and link that bak to the syllabus. Section 3 is for the theory side, this one involves it too, but it concentrates alot more on the case study side. hope it helps, ciao

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Without Wings, do u have an example of one of ur responses where u incorporated a case study in that you'd like to share?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Without Wings said:
Also not all case studies will have examples relevant to everything :)
That was going to be my next question...coz it appears that the case studies don't cover every part of the question. And that leads me to my next question - is it a good idea to incorporate two case studies into the response to "fill in the gaps", or is that likely to cause more confusion?

Pace_T

HSC
as ur on this topic, i thought i might ask this question

would it be a good idea to just use qantas for each topic as a case study?
i cant think of any reason not to, but there probly is?
anyone care to say what though?
lol

goan_crazy

HSC
You can make up case studies as long as they can support your argument

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
If you use a business report for this section, should you still use future tense, such as "the company will adopt such and such an approach..." like as if you were making recommendations to the Board of Directors? Or should you write in past tense and just answer the question as if it were an essay (except in business format)? Essentially, if you write a report for this section isn't it virtually a disguised essay with headings, diagrams and bullet points...and with an executive summary replacing the intro?

Pace_T

HSC
im sorry, i dont understand this

so for section IV, it's like a disguised essay with a case study

while section III is written out like a recommendation to the board of directors?
does that mean section III is still in the format of a business report (executive summary, final recommendation etc)??? therefore, section III is in future tense?

thanks!!!

goan_crazy

HSC
section III is normally responding to stimulus and it doesnt require u 2 recommend 2 case studies in the rubric.
however, section IV has case study/case studies in the rubric.
A report can be written to answer both i think.
If it specifies to write a report, make sure u do
But if it doesnt, u can answer it whatever way u want.

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
hey

hey, i did the hsc last year
primarily address the case study
qantas is a great one to do BUT
in order to get 18+/20 you have to show its application to a wide range of businesses.
an old business hsc head marker told me you can even make up businesses, just back it up using your theory and your sweet.
with mine i split it about 60/40. relative thoery must be explained without getting sidetracked which tends to happen alot in this essay.
cover each section well and follow it with thoery and your set

Kulazzi

HSC
you can even make up businesses, just back it up using your theory and your sweet.
This is not recommended. Please read through WithoutWing's post above concerning this...

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
im sorry but i did the hsc last year
and he marked the 'new' hsc so dont try get me wrong here
it may not be reccomended but its entirely allowable

Last edited:

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
haha this coming from someone that spells QANTAS with a U by writing QUANTAS.
all you need to show is your understanding of how the case study relates to theory.
thanks for coming

Kulazzi

HSC
mikeryan69 said:
haha this coming from someone that spells QANTAS with a U by writing QUANTAS.
all you need to show is your understanding of how the case study relates to theory.
thanks for coming
haha. This is coming from a newbie who obviously haven't read FAQ just yet. :uhhuh:

Maybe it would be a good idea to do that.......now......

edit: thanks for joining :rolleyes:

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
ok what i said was slack and im sorry ok.
just dont want to be hassled about what i have written.
ok im not encouraging people to make case studies up BUT if information within the exam is forgotten or to reinforce an actual companies stuff you can make 1 up.
im sorry without wings i didnt mean it, your information is very good and helpful.
terribly sorry :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I guess that goes to show that you have to be open-minded and careful about what you read on BoS. While the BoS forums are great, teachers are probably the best people to ask if you have a question. However, if that's fruitless then BoS is a good place to ask for advice. Nevertheless, BoSers must keep in mind that the people who post responses to their questions are just students, not professional teachers or tutors (in most cases).

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
glad to see thats straightened out
again im sorry haha
every1 good luck with your case studies and yeah LEARN THEM
qantas is great to do....covers all the areas
i might still have powerpoint stuff on them if any1 would happen to need it, all you will need to do is update to this years stats
=)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Just to bring up this topic again...
Is it ok to use an eclectic selection of information for the purposes of Section IV? I would like to incorporate a few businesses into my report, but I'm not sure whether it would impress the marker or whether it would just look like I hadn't prepared enough info on one case study (in spite of the rubric stating that you can do more than one)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Ok..I'll ask my teacher after the trials. I thought it would be a good idea to make comparisons between two or more businesses, just to give a more rounded view. I actually did that today in my Business trial, so I guess I'll find out if it worked in a couple of weeks time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)