Independent an dependent variables (1 Viewer)

arwin

HSC
When drawing a graph, do we put the independent variables on the x or the y axis?

Independent is the thing that we adjust, right? Example: we have a power pack, a resistor and an ammeter connected in a circuit. When the power pack's knob is on 2V, the ammeter reads 4.3 A. The knob is then adjusted to 4V and ammeter raises to 8A. In this example, the independent variable would be the voltage, and the dependent the current?

zingerburger

HSC
That would be right. And the independent variable goes on the x axis.

helper

HSC
N/A
In general it is independent on the X.

However, in a experiment like yours where the slope has a mathematical meaning they will commonly swap them around. By plotting V on the y and X on the X they can calculate the resistance from the slop directly.

ProtoGirl

HSC
helper said:
In general it is independent on the X.

However, in a experiment like yours where the slope has a mathematical meaning they will commonly swap them around. By plotting V on the y and X on the X they can calculate the resistance from the slop directly.

so If I had a lab that told me that I need to find the power rating of person who walked up the staircase, using a minimum of 15 trials.
And so I will be using Work and Time as my variables so Work will be the independent variable while Time is dependent and the slope of the graph will find me the power, correct?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
um yeh, Power = VI

Work = Energy = VIt

so Work/time = VIt/t = VI = power

so in order for the slope (rise/run) to give you power, the x-axis would need to be time, and the y=axis Work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)