Indian/Sri Lankan preferences (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
Does anyone know why there are tons of Indians/Sri Lankans love doing I.T., Engineering, Medicine, Accounting etc. but hardly anybody doing Law, Arts, Science, Economics etc.?

Is it a cultural thing?

A

adamsaclown

Arts/Science/Economics: because these are less vocationally oriented fields.
Law: i know quite a few, but law is hard to get into, so obviously there's gonna be less people doing it.

I don't want to generalise, but I think most curries view university as a way of increasing their future earnings/getting a good job, etc, hence they go for more 'applied' fields I guess

*hopeful*

HSC
theres quite a fair bit doing law too, arts is well just looked down upon within communities

adamsaclown is pretty much spot on, its applied fields + recognition + good money

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
isn't this just the same for any asian groups? at least from what i've noticed.

why are we singling the curries out?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
haha. Im lankan. When i saw this thread i was like "LOL"

Well personally I like Commerce (espsh Acc, Econ, Fin, Actu) coz I find it very stimulating and fun! :p Yea + the good cash. I also get all excited when people talk about Commerce. I check the exchange rates sum nites for sum reason as well (omg wot a nerd lol)

:)

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
bobness said:
isn't this just the same for any asian groups? at least from what i've noticed.

why are we singling the curries out?
I've personally found that asians go for law and not engineering or IT

I haven't singled out asians because I know generally asians sort of go with what their peers are doing and don't apply any logical process to their course selection

I'm unsure if this is the same as indians/lankans

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
this reminds me of bend it like beckham.

off topic a bit but the 'problem' is worse in britain. be thankful for the more relaxed australian attitude towards education and academics which hopefully rubs off on these parents

volition

arr.
HSC
I'm Sri Lankan, and yea, guilty as charged (B comm at UNSW) :( The only thing I can say in my defence is that I actually wanted to do commerce rather than arts, and it my parents didn't push me into any particular degree.

I'd say that your observation isn't really true about law though, I know heaps of Indians/ Sri Lankans doing comm/law, but I do think the arts observation is spot on. No Indians/Sri Lankans I know do arts.

Left-ism

HSC
actually a lot of them get into economics. but thats pretty similar to commerce. theres a lot indian economists. there like 5 in the usyd faculty.

engineering and medicine are the two top subjects back in india and that. so the same is applied here. law is less prestigious.. weaker legal system back home? i duno. and curries are usually good at maths.

its funnny..sumthen like 30% of US doctors are indian, and a good chunk of NASA engineers too. i think theyre the highest income group based on ethinicity over there..along with the japanese.

Last edited:

Porcia

HSC
bobness said:
Money.

Status Quo.

Lol people see it as vocational.
status quo? ppl like u piss me off - dont use pretentious words without knowing what it means. its status, full stop.

just to turn this post useful rather than inflammatory, status quo refers to the existing state of affairs, although i am sure there are other definitions.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
[quote="bobness]
Money.

Status.

Lol people see it as vocational.
[/quote]

Wot if people actually like the career they are doing :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)