Indoor cricket competition anyone? (2 Viewers)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh hai,

I was looking through the sports pages of every university I was interested in - namely Sydney and UNSW, and I was appalled and shocked to find out that there is no indoor cricket competition at UNSW or Sydney.

Now obviously I'm not thinking this should be an all out Uni vs. Uni thing - but I was thinking maybe a nice addition to social sport, which from my reading - is a competition in itself between student-made-teams.

Apparently there is facilities for indoor soccer or futsal anyway so I'm assuming there should already be some area within the university where indoor cricket can be played.

I talked to the people at info day and they said the dealbreaker was finding enough people to have a competition in the first place.

If we were to do it, I'd think we'd have to play six-a-side to keep a game below one hour which I think is the absolute time limit anyway. Six-a-side would mean an innings of 12 overs each (of 8 deliveries, of course) - which should be able to be done in less than half-an-hour considering there are no long chases to the boundary.

Perhaps for the 'grand final', we could do away with this silly thing of batting partnerships for 2 overs each and play: Test style. That is, get away with this silly rule of -5 runs per wicket and let proper cricket rules be permitted!

It'd be epic. And of course these games would go over one hour each - heck, even one innings could go over an hour, so in tune with 'Test' cricket we should have a maximum of 5 lunchtimes to play. And each team will of course have the customary two innings.

So is anyone interested? Should I even bring this idea up with the Arc people or Sport people?

Also, if there are any Asians who are wanting to play, post here because slyhunter and I were thinking of forming an Asian side called one of the following. Other suggestions welcome:

• WACA (Wonderful Asian Cricket Association)
  • TACT (The Asian Cricket Team)
  • ACE (Asian Cricket Excellence)
  • ACCC (Asian Collaborative Cricket Club)
  • APOOTSIA (Asians Performing Outside Of Traditional Strongholds In Academia)
  • TOSCA (The Original Super Cricketing Asians)

So uhh... yeah! Anyone?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So would you like to have your own team, or are you Asian and would like to join the WACA/TACT/ACE/ACCC/APOOTSIA/TOSCA? =P

Just so we can get preliminary numbers...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh, iSplicer - this is in the... UNSW forums. I didn't know you were a convert! Or are you in the wrong forum? =(

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Oh hai,

I was looking through the sports pages of every university I was interested in - namely Sydney and UNSW, and I was appalled and shocked to find out that there is no indoor cricket competition at UNSW or Sydney.

Now obviously I'm not thinking this should be an all out Uni vs. Uni thing - but I was thinking maybe a nice addition to social sport, which from my reading - is a competition in itself between student-made-teams.

Apparently there is facilities for indoor soccer or futsal anyway so I'm assuming there should already be some area within the university where indoor cricket can be played.

I talked to the people at info day and they said the dealbreaker was finding enough people to have a competition in the first place.

If we were to do it, I'd think we'd have to play six-a-side to keep a game below one hour which I think is the absolute time limit anyway. Six-a-side would mean an innings of 12 overs each (of 8 deliveries, of course) - which should be able to be done in less than half-an-hour considering there are no long chases to the boundary.

Perhaps for the 'grand final', we could do away with this silly thing of batting partnerships for 2 overs each and play: Test style. That is, get away with this silly rule of -5 runs per wicket and let proper cricket rules be permitted!

It'd be epic. And of course these games would go over one hour each - heck, even one innings could go over an hour, so in tune with 'Test' cricket we should have a maximum of 5 lunchtimes to play. And each team will of course have the customary two innings.

So is anyone interested? Should I even bring this idea up with the Arc people or Sport people?

Also, if there are any Asians who are wanting to play, post here because slyhunter and I were thinking of forming an Asian side called one of the following. Other suggestions welcome:

So uhh... yeah! Anyone?
I'm in as well...for 2012 anyway.

Haha lol at APOOTSIA (Asians Performing Outside Of Traditional Strongholds In Academia) - some asians are quite good at cricket you know.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
As you know, I'm in with WACA (for next year of course).

Team star player position taken. =P

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
gesh, why 2012? Are you starting then or is it some sort of Armaggeddon joke I'm missing? =P

And Asians like... Khawaja?

And yeah slyhunter, the star player you can be. Have fun wicket-keeping! *awesome face*

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Double post.

Last edited:

gesh17

HSC
N/A
gesh, why 2012? Are you starting then or is it some sort of Armaggeddon joke I'm missing? =P

And Asians like... Khawaja?

And yeah slyhunter, the star player you can be. Have fun wicket-keeping! *awesome face*
I'm taking a GAP Year to work and travel.

I meant Asians as in India - arguably the greatest team in the world atm. Anyway, if slyhunter is "star player"/wicket-keeper, what position are you? I'll take care of spin.:)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ah, gap year. Good thing you're working through it - not just, "Oh yee brah, just went for a gap year so i could rest a while ya know?"

And oh those people =P . Arguably, though I'm not sure what happened with the South Africa-India test. I assume India won?

I am... lower order batsman and spinner. Right arm orthodox.

Can't hurt to have two spinners in the side. I hope you're a leg spinner! Or at least a left armer.

And if you are Asian, would you like to join WACA/TACT/ACE/ACCC/APOOTSIA/TOSCA? =P

twistedrebel

HSC
It was a draw, and kallis is truely one of the best players in history.

Count me in, i m sorta asian? :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Kallis I saw made like 100 or something.

And yay, we has another player! What is that... four or so now? *awesome face*

twistedrebel

HSC
Kallis scored centuries in both innings, taking like 10 pain killing needles. he didnt even take the field in the 2nd innings. He's now out for a few months/weeks.

HSC
I was learning leg-spin at one stage. Gave up when I realised the difficulty of some of the variations.

I'll probably end up going to UNSW (for eng.) in a years time anyway, so I guess if there's still a spot remaining I'd be pretty keen to play.

I'm gonna have to be on the non-Asian team, but I wouldn't mind playing for WACA/TACT/ACE/ACCC/APOOTSIA/TOSCA. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, the googly is easy enough. Flipper and top-spinner may be a bit harder, as is the slider. Still, a leg spinner who can do a googly or an arm ball (or whatever the equivalent for a leg spinner is) is dangerous enough =P

Besides, everyone will bowl two overs anyway - it's the nature of indoor cricket. And by the time you end up at UNSW, if you do end up coming, hopefully there'll be a competition set up. Otherwise, I can foresee just an Indoor Cricket Club and our 'activities' would consist of just going to the gym and playing some indoor cricket. It's like the Film Club - they watch movies, we play cricket =P

And if you want to play - you could always set up your own team! Captain your own side, be the future Ricky Ponting =P

HSC
Well, the googly is easy enough. Flipper and top-spinner may be a bit harder, as is the slider. Still, a leg spinner who can do a googly or an arm ball (or whatever the equivalent for a leg spinner is) is dangerous enough =P

Besides, everyone will bowl two overs anyway - it's the nature of indoor cricket. And by the time you end up at UNSW, if you do end up coming, hopefully there'll be a competition set up. Otherwise, I can foresee just an Indoor Cricket Club and our 'activities' would consist of just going to the gym and playing some indoor cricket. It's like the Film Club - they watch movies, we play cricket =P

And if you want to play - you could always set up your own team! Captain your own side, be the future Ricky Ponting =P
Sounds great!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I just ask that you don't cheat and import a team from school =P

We should mandate that at least three different schools be represented in each team or something... just to be fair.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC

So uhh... yeah! Anyone?
Sorry but I don't like the whole racial segregation thing. There would be uproar if to play in the Australian cricket team you had to be Caucasian say (which is ridicilous obviously).

Khawaja was at UNSW too, finished aeronautical eng apparently this year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's not a racial segregation thing - it's called seeing if a group of people who don't usually play a particular sport, can. Honourary Asians can play too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)