Induction Question help please. (1 Viewer)

Ekman

HSC
Hey well im going to skip the first step which is to test n=1 or n=2 and go straight into step 2.

Last edited:

john1464

HSC
sorry I dont see how you got the 5th line. Can you explain please?

Ekman

HSC
sorry I dont see how you got the 5th line. Can you explain please?
I manipulated the equation by adding and subtracting stuff. For example, I had -2^k from the equation in line 4 so I could get -3*2^k. And so when you minus something , you have to add it in order to maintain the equality. Thus I subtracted -2^k and added 2^k in order to maintain the still same original equality.

john1464

HSC
It wierd though my book does it so differently its really confusing

Ekman

HSC
For inequality questions where you require to use induction, there is no form of substitution you can use since they are inequalities. You can only show that a certain inequality exists for when you prove n=k+1. Well that's the way I was taught at least...

braintic

HSC
N/A
Hey well im going to skip the first step which is to test n=1 or n=2 and go straight into step 2.

I would be penalising you for the logic of your inductive step.
You should be starting with a-b (without the >0), then manipulating it until you have a >0 on the other side.

Your working is similar to being asked to prove a trig identity, starting with the identity you have to prove, and ending up with something like 1=1.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I would be penalising you for the logic of your inductive step.
You should be starting with a-b (without the >0), then manipulating it until you have a >0 on the other side.

Your working is similar to being asked to prove a trig identity, starting with the identity you have to prove, and ending up with something like 1=1.
Isn't he using 'if and only if' steps though to go from each line to the next, so his proof is valid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)