• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Industrial Design (1 Viewer)

tachiapple

Queen
HSC
Anyone does industrial design at uws?

can u tell me about it...about the course and the people there.

is it a very competitive course?

HSC
I applied for industrial design next year at uws >_< my design&tech teacher said designing courses and careers are vVery competitive. in this case, im screwed :cold:

pamiii

HSC
Hey i'm doing the Bachelor of Industrial Design, i'm going to be a 3rd year this year.

pamiii

HSC
I dont think the course itself is very competitive and even with the entry requirements, you dont need anything other than the required UAI mark to obtain a place. No interviews or anything is required, so you should receive an offer into that course.

I had written a longer response before but i think i took too long to actually post it so i got logged off.. and my spectacular reply was erased, never to be seen again.

So i'll post in fragments =D

Pamz

pamiii

HSC
The course itself has a variety of majors and sub-majors on offer.. and these can be found through the following link http://handbook.uws.edu.au/HBOOK/course.asp?course=3503.2 just scroll to the bottom .. and u'll see the listing..

I'm currently majoring in Interactive Industrial Graphics and sub-majoring in Sustainable Design.

Its really easy to make friends in this course as everyone is keen on helping each other as we're like a big team working together, there isnt much of that competitiveness amongst us.

Having decided to major in Interactive Industrial Graphics i have so far been taught to use the following programs:

*adobe illustrator
*adobe photoshop
*adobe image ready
*solid edge (3d program)
*Rhino (3d program)
*Macromedia MX (FLASH)

I have been able to produce prototypes using foam and PVA during the workshops, these include :

*mobile phone out of foam and PVA
*garlic cruncher out of foam and PVA
*hairdryer out of foam
*sim card reader out of foam
*volvo caravan out of foam

I got to design posters, brochures and even re-design existing products such as eftpos terminals, remote controls and so on.

Most students are assigned different projects so the ones i have mentioned are the ones i was given.

Pamz

pamiii

HSC
In regards to job opportunities afterwards, you can pretty much do anything in the design field... i'm more inclined to the graphic design and animation area..

but there is always another option, with the Bachelor of Industrial Design and the Bachelor of Design and Technology there is guaranteed entry into the add on Postgraduate Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) afterwards, its only one year long and you become a fully qualified teacher.

I will also be doing this aswell... as i want something to fall back on just in case, as teachers are in high demand and the holidays are good. =D

Pamz

click here

to see my profile
HSC
pamiii, the ID course you're doing, do you know if there is a way to transfer from UWS to UNSW?

pamiii

HSC
Hey yeh if you wanted to transfer into UNSW ... you'll need complete at least one semester with UWS and get really good scores then re-apply through UAC for mid year intake.. if of course its offered through mid year intake.. if not..
u'll need to re-apply through UAC near the end of the year when HSC students apply ... i think its around august/september time..

i've known a couple ppl in my first year that completed their first year of study with UWS then re-applied through UAC and received offers in UTS and UNSW...

then they just get their first year units accredited towards their UTS/UNSW degrees.. which reduces the overall study time... and it means u havent wasted time at UWS ..

I'll let u in on a lil story..
a friend of mine transferred to UNSW after first year ... and he said he didnt like it so he transferred back to UWS...

but he said they offer better submajors at UNSW so his still completing a submajor in automobile design with UNSW ... as a cross institutional student.. and this gets accredited towards his degree.. ^^

therefore he'll be able to graduate with a UWS degree in Industrial Design with a sub major in automobile design ...

on his transcript it would list his UNSW units as well... so yeh..

dunno how that would actually help u .. but i thought alittle more insight would be helpful.. ^^

pamz

click here

to see my profile
HSC
thanks for replying

I put ID @ UNSW as my first choice and ID @ UWS as my second choice.

HSC
hey pamiii, would having Not done Arts/Design&Technology subjects in the HSC effect my marks/progress in the course?
Because I only did Eng, Physics and Maths from the Assumed Knowledge...
I hope I get in...

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
shortygb said:
awesome, theres more bosers who want to do industrial design, i really hope i do get into uws, im onyl just 0.25 above last years cutoff, so my chances are really slim.
Ah, don't stress too much. I'm sure you'll figure out what to do if you don't get in. Theres always back doors to getting to where you want. Goodluck!

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
I'm a 2nd year Industrial design student.

Anyone want 2nd hand ( real good condition) 1st year books?

I hardly ever opened most of them, only 2 days before the exam :p

Juventino/Steven

pamiii

HSC
hey it wouldnt affect anything walking mushroo...

i didnt do any of the recommended units.. i didnt do maths.. physics... DT ..only thing i had was visual arts... and i still managed to do pretty well ... ^^

so long as u study.. u'll be fine.. and maths should be a bit easier for ya since u have the background knowledge already.. i had to do additional reading to kinda get the gist of maths again.. as my highest level was year 10 maths.. =)

with one of the other units u use some physics formulas and things and you should be alright with that awell... ^^ so in conclusion yeh u should do well ^^

and LOL at juventino! u seem to use the same studying technique as me... haha a couple days before the exam i opened my textbooks and it had that fresh new plastic smell.. hahha pretty kool hav u decided wat u wanna major or submajor in yet?

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
pamiii said:
and LOL at juventino! u seem to use the same studying technique as me... haha a couple days before the exam i opened my textbooks and it had that fresh new plastic smell.. hahha pretty kool hav u decided wat u wanna major or submajor in yet?

I'm majoring in "Industrial interactive graphics" the hell with doing suistainable again :p For obvious reasons ^_^

pamiii

HSC
lmaooo i so agree !!! i'm majoring in interactive aswell ...koolz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)