Inequalities help!!! (1 Viewer)

billjyang

HSC
I was wondering how I could do this question:
If (ad+bc)2 <= (a2+b2)(c2+d2),
deduce that:
(a+b)2<= 2(a2+b2)

Now, I know that I am able to do it without the first property given, but the original question is a HENCE question... so i was wondering how to do it using the property above.
I can let c and d = 1, but I am not sure whether you can replace them with integer values.
A worked out solution will help me lots in easing up confusion with inequalities.
THANKS GUYS!!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I was wondering how I could do this question:
If (ad+bc)2 <= (a2+b2)(c2+d2),
deduce that:
(a+b)2<= 2(a2+b2)

Now, I know that I am able to do it without the first property given, but the original question is a HENCE question... so i was wondering how to do it using the property above.
I can let c and d = 1, but I am not sure whether you can replace them with integer values.
A worked out solution will help me lots in easing up confusion with inequalities.
THANKS GUYS!!!
Pretty sure you're allowed to since (ad+bc)^2 <= (a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2) is an identity and hence should work with all a,b,c,d (except restrictions which don't seem to be given) so c =1 and d = 1 should work.

fluffchuck

HSC
The given identity has no restrictions on a,b,c,d except that they all must be real. Letting c=1 and d=1 should be correct

HSC
The given identity has no restrictions on a,b,c,d except that they all must be real. Letting c=1 and d=1 should be correct
Bill that question's not gonna appear on our test lmao. Webber told us remember? Only basic identities lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)