HSC
The definition of infinity would be:

For every r in R, inf > r.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
STx said:
i dont think you can say 'infinity > inifinity + 1', but that inifinity + 1= infinity
I would agree. Infinity is an undefined value which is extremely large or extremely small (-infinity)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
-inf isn't extremely small, just that its negative is extremely large.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Templar, infinity is an upper bound of any subset of R, but could you show that it is unique? Though that'd depend on some precise definition, of which I'm too lazy to look up.
I usually take infinity as what its name implies: not finite.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
Templar, infinity is an upper bound of any subset of R, but could you show that it is unique? Though that'd depend on some precise definition, of which I'm too lazy to look up.
I usually take infinity as what its name implies: not finite.
Depends on what angle you look at infinity, and your definition of uniqueness. We have already discussed the concept of aleph null, and it is quite easy to show that 2N0>N0, so perhaps there's your answer. Two sets of infinity with different cardinality. Although what 2N0 is we'll never know.

Kaley001

HSC
If you had two objects that are so far apart that the distance could not/never could be measured, would you call it infinity? Then suppose one of the objects were to move an extra unit away from the other so the distance became infinity + 1, but that isn't the same distance as 'infinity'...

Infinity is qualitative not quantitative, as in, it is there to describe what IS not a number to represent what is. Its only purpose in maths is to be a pretty symbol that fills a gap that can't be described in maths, and any equations with infinity in it is meaningless in real life until the infinity is removed.

And no, I don't really know what I'm talking about :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Kaley001 said:
Its only purpose in maths is to be a pretty symbol that fills a gap that can't be described in maths, and any equations with infinity in it is meaningless in real life until the infinity is removed.
I disagree

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Shall I unleash a lecture (or few) on Cantor and infinities?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
If infinity is not something that is the biggest (or the limit), then what is that something even bigger than this something really big (infinity)?

For 1 to the power of infinity, the answer is still 1.
Aleph nought and aleph one are provably different, I believe. So one must be "bigger"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)