Information needed for certain essays. (1 Viewer)

cate_7x

HSC
Hi all,
I was just wondering if someone could help me on the sort of information needed for a few essays that have popped up previously in past exams.

1. Frontier Problems/Policy
2. Imperial Building Programs
3. Imperial Bureaucracy.

Our teacher didn't exactly cover these topics well and I'm having difficulty figuring out what info needs to go in them.
If anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Aimz- Lou.

hey. I'm assuming this is from Augustus-Titus???

Anyway.

Imperial buildings:
- AUGUSTUS:
Did a huge amount of work. This was both to procure the general good will of the people, and to fix stuff up in Rome.
He built the Augustan forum, which was for propaganda purposes and because the forum romana was not big enough to cater to the economic and administrative needs of the people. "Surely we must count among our truly noble buildings... the forum of Augustus, buildings the most beautiful the world has ever seen." (Pliny.)

He restored 82 temples. This is recorded in the Res Gestae.

He claims to have "found Rome brick and left it marble."

He did a lot to beautify Rome, but did relatively little to appease the plight of the people.

Agrippa was employed during this time, and he constructed many acqueducts, and maintained others. This was a significant public works program from this time period.

Augustus constructed the campus martius. This was important in relation to succession - he named the theatre after his grandson, marcellus, whom he had marked to succeed him.

The campus Agrippae was also constructed during this time, in honour of Agrippa, who was also marked for succession.

TIBERIUS:
- Did very little in the way of buildings.
He built the pratoria castra, which was the residence of the pratorian guard inside of Rome. (Leading to the downfall of Tiberius, as Sejanus ran riot.)

GAIUS:
Constructed his own private circus. Criminals were killed here, and Christians martyred, etc.

CLAUDIUS:
Was very concerned with the well being of his people.
Constructed the new port at Ostia, complete with a light house, so that the grain supply would be quicker and more efficient.

NERO:
- Built his golden house....

VESPASIAN:
Vespasian was responsible for the beginning of the colloseum. he needed to do something to appease the people because his troops had raped and plundered Rome.

TITUS:
Titus completed the colloseum.

Basically, you need to outline the reasons for buildings, perhaps some of the methods and mechanisms used in the actual construction, provide examples, and make sure you cover ALL the emperors in the time period.

I'll add to this later, all my info on provinces is on a different computer. Sorry!

cate_7x

HSC
Wow thank you so much. Really I was almost dying because I didn't have any of this info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)