Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

eb590

HSC
Hey,
I also applied for Burgmann as my first preference way back in August. I have been checking my login accom portal account and email regularly and havent heard anything about places being offered - has anyone been offered a place?
and is there some form of interview or is that just for johns?
thanks!

HiddenDragon

HSC
I have burgmann as my first preference and i havn't heard anything but i think its a bit early to expect a reply. I would say sometime between when we get our HSC results and christmas will be when we get a reply.

I have checked the Burgmann site and it says nothing about an interview and i was told nothing about an interview on the open day at Burgmann.

eb590

HSC
Awesome thanks! I thought the only college that did interviews was Johns, not Burgmann - and that Burgmann just emails you an offer or indicates you have one on the accom portal
hopefully this is still the case

Tha Wishkah

HSC
Fenner Hall is based on the expectation of civilized decent behaviour and active engagement with the Hall community. If you are willing to commit to our ethos and to support our goals, then Fenner Hall may well be your new home.
in my offer
i don't know if it's just me being paranoid but what does this mean exactly? just no stupid crap or is fenner like religious? i think im going crazy

themonalisa

HSC
Fenner was co-founded by an orthodox Jewish brotherhood - so i wouldnt be surprised if they made you do Sabbath on Fridays ~ good luck

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
I got interviewed for Burgmann like 10 days ago, and they offered me and on-the-spot place off my application and interview. 50 places were chosen for undergrads out of 500 applications so pretty stoked :)

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
could someone describe to be the personality of each residential college and which ones to avoid?

HiddenDragon

HSC
I have a question that i couldn't find already asked within this thread.

My first preference is Bruce Hall however after reading the 2010 handbook it basically said that i could not bring a larger mattress to the hall unless i had a medical condition.

Does being 195cm tall count as a medical condition?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I have a question that i couldn't find already asked within this thread.

My first preference is Bruce Hall however after reading the 2010 handbook it basically said that i could not bring a larger mattress to the hall unless i had a medical condition.

Does being 195cm tall count as a medical condition?
No <_<

Do it anyway, I doubt they'd notice or actually care.

Epic

HSC
Is it possible to recieve mail at the residential colleges or would I have to rent out a PO box?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to recieve mail at the residential colleges or would I have to rent out a PO box?
yep, each college will have a mailing address. letters are put in pidgeon holes (alphabetical), and packages are kept behind the counter (they leave a note in the pidgeon hole).

Epic

HSC
Alright thanks guys. One more question regarding payment for accommodation. I know they have 40 week contracts but does this mean I would have to pay for the entire 40 weeks as a lump sum or do they allow people to pay weekly / fotnightly / monthly?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Alright thanks guys. One more question regarding payment for accommodation. I know they have 40 week contracts but does this mean I would have to pay for the entire 40 weeks as a lump sum or do they allow people to pay weekly / fotnightly / monthly?
nah 40 weeks is how long you're expected to stay at college for (is the norm). You pay either yearly (as a lump sum), semesterly, quarterly, or monthly. This may change between colleges, and the more often you pay, the more it costs you

Epic

HSC
nah 40 weeks is how long you're expected to stay at college for (is the norm). You pay either yearly (as a lump sum), semesterly, quarterly, or monthly. This may change between colleges, and the more often you pay, the more it costs you
Ah ok thanks for that, sounds reasonable.

However would that mean that the $296 per week (Bruce Hall) is the going rate for the lump sum?

If so, approximately what would the weekly rate be if I had to pay the instalments semesterly / quarterly / monthly?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Ah ok thanks for that, sounds reasonable.

However would that mean that the $296 per week (Bruce Hall) is the going rate for the lump sum?

If so, approximately what would the weekly rate be if I had to pay the instalments semesterly / quarterly / monthly?
it should be in the bruce contract, however its usually 5-7$ more expensive a week if u pay monthly

Tha Wishkah

HSC
Just another quick question, what is public transport like in canberra? I've been accepting into fenner hall, and i have a car/drivers license but unsure as to whether or not i'll need to bring it when I move down there.
Is there much parking at fenner/ANU? From fenner/ANU how far away are shops? etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)